Mashing Adjuncts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
So a friend of mine is turning 35 and I want to brew a nice Lager for his bash. He's a Cinco De Mayo kid and I want to brew up a Dos Equis. I have never used Flaked Maize before and I don't plan on using it again anytime soon, but back to the mission. Should I plan on a high mash temp and mash out to get all I can out of this corn, or mash lower for less body and then mash out high to get the sugar flowing. I have my recipe and I'm using roughly 6 #(29%) in a 10 gal batch. Plus 2 # of rice hulls. Any Mexicans out there?;)

The only time I used a large amount of flaked corn was in the Poor Richard's Ale. That used 2.5 lbs (19%), mashed at 154F for 45 minutes. No rice hulls.

3lbs in a five gallon batch was a little much for my first use of corn. I'd scale back the corn and replace it with rice(if you want it lighter) or 2-row(if you want it fuller). if you're concerned about getting as much sugar as possible out of it, boil a gallon of water, remove from heat, and drop in the maize. Cover and leave it to cook for half an hour. The maize and/or rice should become mush like cream of wheat. Put some cold water in the MLT and dump in the adjuncts and mash as normal. You're using lager yeast, right? go for a low mash temp to keep it dry and crisp.

I am brewing 10 gal so I thought the 3# per 5gal was about right. I will scale that back to 4# total. I don't need a stuck sparge on this brew. I will mash in at 149 and mash out high like 165. I will add a couple #'s of rice hulls too. When you guys use rice, what brand do you use and what color?

I get the cheap store brand white rice in a bag. It has to be cooked first, but hey, I'm cheap. Most people use the generic minute rice, i think. It doesn't have to be cooked beyond what happens during the mash. I never thought about using one of the other types of rice. has anyone tried that?

The reason for reducing the corn volume is due to the flavor it gives to a light beer. Imagine the taste of corn grits as an aftertaste in your beer and that's about what you get if you use too much.

Back