Brew Dogs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd probably watch it. I've only tried one of their beers, but enjoyed it. And, like Brewmasters, its a show about beer, so I'll watch it.

I see it's going to be on a brand new channel, so if DirecTV picks up the channel, I'll check it out.

EDIT: I see the channel is replacing G4, which DTV does not carry. Oh well.

I'll probably check it out. There were a lot of shots of Greg Koch from Stone.

I am definitely going to watch. They also shot at other breweries in the area from each episode to get more exposure than just one brewery.

Looks like it's also being shown on a bunch of other channels, including Bravo and CNBC. Various times.

I liked it. Good mix of actual beer making and latent talk for non brewers. Was cool to see them set up a brew station in a train but I think they boiled with the pot covered and there's no way all those people at the end got a sample of the 10 gallons they made on the train.

Dustinj said:
but I think they boiled with the pot covered and there's no way all those people at the end got a sample of the 10 gallons they made on the train.

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing.

The only issue I had with the show is, they played background music while they talked. It drives me crazy when TV shows do that, especially with their thick accents.

Man, I hate that too.
What is that, a trend? Really bad taste and judgement, IMO. Producers with ADHD perhaps? Too many YouTube vids suffer from the same infectious disease.

Sorry, I missed the show after all. Was just way too tired, took a nap, didn't wake up until way after. I'll look for it on Usenet :), or a rebroadcast sometime.

I really enjoyed the show...they actually tried to educate and entertain...and seeing them build what was basically a very nice home brew rig was cool.

They talked a technical level that I appreciated as well..it was nothing I didn't know, but it wasnt like "hey you know nothing so we will just glaze over the details and you wont notice" like many shows do.

i thought that was among the most flipping terrible things i have ever watched. set my dvr to record the series, too - had high hopes for it. will be deleting that soon. "extreme pepper and seaweed IPA brewed on a train"? oh for crissakes come on. couldn't just do a show about the craft brew scene in america, could you. has to be the X games of beer?

I'm diggin the show. they're likeable guys. the music does kind of interfere with the dialog, but their accents aren't as bad as some Scots I've heard

I like the bits they're doing. go to a city, talk to a brewer in that city. plan a recipe, collect ingredients and brew with that brewer. list top 5 brewpubs and top 5 breweries in the city. talk to non-craft beer drinkers and have them try a craft beer. competition between the 2 on pairing beer with food, judged by a local chef with his/her dishes.

looking forward to more episodes

ADD: they said they started with 10 gallons of water. that's a 5-gallon batch in my system

i thought that was among the most flipping terrible things i have ever watched. set my dvr to record the series, too - had high hopes for it. will be deleting that soon. "extreme pepper and seaweed IPA brewed on a train"? oh for crissakes come on. couldn't just do a show about the craft brew scene in america, could you. has to be the X games of beer?

can't really do a bitter or mild with the guy who created Arrogant Bastard, can you?

even though brewing the beer was the theme throughout the whole show, it really was just a small part

I liked the show!
But it bugged me they didn't say what hops they used in the train beer. I saw Citra, but that was it.

What I thought was funny, is how many of us spend years building our systems. The guys who make the electric brewing rigs take a lot of time and research to make sure all the wiring and stuff is right, and spend a lot of time to dial in their system. These guys built a complete brewing rig installed on a train in...what was it, a day? All of the stuff was high-end...it looked like a MoreBeer setup, but who knows. My jaw dropped when I saw that setup. I wonder what will become of that...it would be a huge waste for it to just sit there on the train. I also thought it was funny when they were mashing at "hot." :p I couldn't tell if they were using a temp controller or dial thermometer.

As far as the crazy pepper seaweed beer thing...that's really not that far outside of the BrewDog realm. I mean, Sink the Bismarck made international beer news, and their squirrel skin version made international regular news... I'm not a huge fan of all the wacky off-the-wall stuff in the episode, but I'll watch it if it talks about beer. It's good to see that they're not taking themselves too seriously, making all the "that's what she said" jokes.

Teromous said:
It's good to see that they're not taking themselves too seriously, making all the "that's what she said" jokes.

That's exactly how I feel. I'm sure that will probably piss off all the hardcore beer snobs though, but hardcore beer snobs get on my nerves anyway so it's fine by me :)

I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but I will give it a few more episodes.

With Kelp, rosemary and a scorpion pepper in beer does not make me think of standing on the beach in California. That was their goal. Just sayin'. Other than that it seems gimmicky. The opening credits I thought I heard they brewed a beer under water. Really? Who cares? Other than that it was ok. I'll watch again.

Pretty cool show. The guys are down to earth, normal dudes making nipple jokes and chasing American tail. Its not a brewing show, proven by the line "If you wanna know every little detail about how beer is made, you can fukcin google it". The beer they made was over the top? They were a couple of brewers hangin around a brewhouse drinking beer and tossing ideas around. As homebrewers, i'm sure most of us can appreciate the experimenting idea.

Their idea of "Converting a million craft beer virgins" is something I hope the show focuses on. People were tasting beers and saying "I didn't know beer was supposed to taste like this". I feel the show is more entertaining than the DFH show. We'll see how it plays out.

On a side note, i just got my trinidad scorpion moruga seeds in, and i live around the corner from the ocean, so maybe a clone of the train beer is in my future.

Was not a fan. Way too gimmicky for me to be able to sit through. Their target audience is not me.

This had potential but I agree with many that it was too gimmicky.

The hosts are likeable and funny, but brewing on a train was weird and a distraction from what could have been an interesting show.

I would have really liked it if they talked to several brewers in the SD area. I liked the food pairing segment and I thought the "craft beer virgin" segments were decent, but it got a little old doing it so many times. The whole brewing on a train and crafting a ridiculous recipe were a little tiring and I could have done without that. I thought it would play better as a craft beer travel show rather than a "what weird ingredients can we put into a beer while brewing in an outrageous location?" show.

I thought Brew Dogs was very funny and entertaining,maybe the Belgium Trippel that I was drinking helped....

I liked the food pairing segment
brewing on a train [snip] little tiring and I could have done without that.
I didn't like the pairings portion, because it was a little too 'current trend' to me. I think it was 5 out of 6 beers were stouts or porters. I'm tired of every craft beer either being a stout or an IPA.

The brewing on a train was very gimmicky, but that's what the non-brewers will remember about the show. I also thought it was a little cool, because it showed you can brew (with a rig) almost anywhere, even a train.

What ever happened to Brewmasters? I heard word that Anheuser Busch pushed it off the air. I'd honestly be surprised if they were not involved in the show's demise. Corporate shenanigans?

(grabs swear jar, and swears in it)

Just watched the 1st episode, and the jury is still out on this one. It is made for tv, so taking that into account I may watch at least one more. I can say, I do want to go to San Diego and do a tour of some of the breweries there.

It would have been interesting if no one raised their glass to agree to 'drink' the scorpion pepper-kelp-rosemary IPA concoction they came up with and poured it out. I would like to try it myself.

I thought it was entertaining. The brew set up was pretty cool to see. I wasn't expecting to see a one hour show watching someone brew beer so that may be why I wasn't disappointed. I look forward to watching the next episode to see what they come up with.

My wife was like its sad that I know exactly what they are talking about when they explained the brewing process. She also had heard of many of the breweries they mentioned. I enjoyed it and hope it goes well, enjoy it for what it is people.

Back