What book to read?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbGator

Reaction score
Ok, I have been a homebrewer for 7 years now and the SHMBO has finally convinced me to make wine. (The remaining equipment and a wine kit is our Christmas present) What I need to know is if I should read a book about how to do this, or just follow the directions that come with the kit? I'm sure I will stick with homebrewing and winemaking so that's not the issue. I just want to make sure I get a good book and don't waste my time on a book that is just going to explain the directions to me. Any suggestions will help.

When I started, I bought a wine starter kit that gave me a fermenting bucket, 6 gallon carboy, and other supplies to get started.

My kit came with "The Joy of Home Wine Making". The book does a good job of explaining how to get started and provides recipes for one gallon batches.

If you already brew beer, doing a kit wine is within your skills. Sanitize the way you do now and follow the instructions of the wine kit. Yes, follow the instructions, they are good instructions.

This is good news because I downloaded the sample of this book on my ipad and have been reading it. Do you think it is worth me buying the book or just following directions? I mean is there any other content in here that I will gain from the book over just following the directions, if so I will buy it.

dmbGator said:
This is good news because I downloaded the sample of this book on my ipad and have been reading it. Do you think it is worth me buying the book or just following directions? I mean is there any other content in here that I will gain from the book over just following the directions, if so I will buy it.

Honestly see if you can borrow it from someone or maybe the library? It is basic in methods, but has recipes, like spices banana sherry or sage wines, stuff like that.

The book worked for me because I was new to fermentables.

Terry Garey's "The Joy of Home Wine Making" is a great read and should be on your shelf. IMHO, however, spend some of your valuable time on Jack Keller's site. In addition to the members of this great forum, his site is a wealth of information that only experience can provide. Although wine takes alot more patience and time, the best part is that it's much more forgiving than homebrew!!

I haven't made a kit wine yet, but have talked to ALOT of patrons at my LHBS who've been unhappy with their's thus far. When I do finally pickup a kit, know that I'll be following Jack's 'extended instructions to kit wine' procedure.

Best of luck, and welcome to the BETTER side of homebrew!!!!!

FlyinDan1017 said:
I haven't made a kit wine yet, but have talked to ALOT of patrons at my LHBS who've been unhappy with their's thus far. When I do finally pickup a kit, know that I'll be following Jack's 'extended instructions to kit wine' procedure.

Best of luck, and welcome to the BETTER side of homebrew!!!!!

What have been some of the complaints of kit wines, what are the brands?

Complaints were mostly traits of being a young wine. As they're commenting about wanting an awsome smooth cab after 4-6 weeks they're purchasing another kit. To that end, at least they're making more and realizing the need to age the current stuff a bit. Also, coming off summer, most batches were sitting in a closet/room at 80'ish (much cooler on the a/c and you'll need a 2nd mortgage)... Unsure of the brands though.

FlyinDan1017 said:
Complaints were mostly traits of being a young wine. As they're commenting about wanting an awsome smooth cab after 4-6 weeks they're purchasing another kit. To that end, at least they're making more and realizing the need to age the current stuff a bit. Also, coming off summer, most batches were sitting in a closet/room at 80'ish (much cooler on the a/c and you'll need a 2nd mortgage)... Unsure of the brands though.

After my first few batches, I was amazed how much the wines transformed as they aged. All the reds I have done were pretty good after a few months if aging.

A port I did tasted terrible through fermentation and I had my doubts. But after it sat a bit, GREAT!! ;)

Do you think it is worth me buying the book or just following directions? I mean is there any other content in here that I will gain from the book over just following the directions, if so I will buy it.

That book won't do much by way of kit wines, but will provide alot of insight far beyond the kit instructions. Don't get me wrong, a kit is a great place to start. The craft of homemade wine comes from taking fermentable fruits, enhancing their characteristics, adding a few supplements here and there, to create something well-balanced and ultimately enjoyable.

Back