difference between s-04 and US-05? (which should I use?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesalvo

Reaction score
Tomorrow I am going to brew a pretty hoppy IPA ( think Hopdevil). I have washed s04 that I can make a starter with, or I can use slurry for an IPA that ill be racking today. My question is what would be the best yeast to use? Should I use the slurry for convenience or should I make the starter using the s04? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

S-05. According to popular description, -05 is a clean ale yeast and -04 is more of an english-style yeast that leaves a lot of esters and probably doesn't attenuate as well as the -05. I did a side-by-side on an IPA recently, but I forgot to mark which was which. Ugh. If you can, try splitting the batch and do a comparison.

I am an IDIOT. The Slury I have available is 1056 NOT s-o5. So its a tossup between 1056 slurry and s-04 starter.....sorry for the confusion passedpawn.

Why not pitch both? I've gotten WLP002 to attenuate and floc really nicely while keeping it's flavor profile when I pitch it with WLP001.

Oh no ****. Well that's great to know. I feel stupid :). According to Mr. Malty ill need 132 ml of slurry which I converted to 4.5 oz. Does this seem correct to those who have pitched slurry before? My max OG will be 1.070.

You don't want to make a starter with S-04 (or any other dry yeast). You should, however, rehydrate it as per the manufacturer's instructions.

http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_S-04_HB.pdf

Oh no ****. Well that's great to know. I feel stupid :). According to Mr. Malty ill need 132 ml of slurry which I converted to 4.5 oz. Does this seem correct to those who have pitched slurry before? My max OG will be 1.070.

Sounds about right for the slurry, provided proper care has been taken to ensure its viability.

1056 = s-05

...so if I understand what your are saying is he thought he made a mistake but the mistake he made was thinking he made a mistake...

Happens to me all the time (over-thinking the problem) and is really only bad when you spend hours fixing your mistake that was not a mistake and now you have a whole new problem...

• Measure once and cut once; BAD!
  • Measure twice and cut once; GOOD!
  • Measure over and over, and over; cutting multiple times; just plan SILLY!

DPB

Sounds about right for the slurry, provided proper care has been taken to ensure its viability.

please explain...My local HBS owner told me just to measure out however much I needed and just pitch. Is it as simple as taking from the primary, and pitching to a new wort?

please explain...My local HBS owner told me just to measure out however much I needed and just pitch. Is it as simple as taking from the primary, and pitching to a new wort?

My general practise is to rack my beer from the primary when it is time to pitch on brew day, then measure out the slurry I need (just like your LHBS owner said), pitch it into the new batch, and aerate.

You hear a lot of people say they store their slurry indefinitely before pitching. A local brewery owner told me the following when I asked him how they do it: "We have a rule around here that no yeast gets used any longer than 4 days after being harvested. The viability (live vs. dead cell counts) and vitality (ability to ferment) are very low in yeast that have been stored longer than that at 1 C. Yeast that have been stored at higher than 1 c. And longer than 4 days with no available sugars to ferment will autolyse, giving off citric acid in the process. There will always be some yeast that will kick in and ferment once repitched, but the larger percentage of the yeast will be dead and create that lemonade and meaty/broth-like flavour."

...well some people harvest their yeast... look at Youtube.

...some people plan their brewing to coniside with bottling another batch (they have "brew-days") and once the new batch is cool they pour it in to the previously used fermentor with the yeast cake.

...some poor the old yeast cake into a new fermenter.

...dry yeast users often don't re-hydrate their yeast.

...some make Starters

Lots of choices

DPB

Brew-day: a day dedicated to brewing where you brew, bottle, clean every damn piece of equipment you own... it takes a whole day and can be hard work. Advantage? well you get all beer related stuff done in one day... The alternative of course it do bits and pieces of these projects ofver the course of a number of days... but to do so you need to plan more and be motivated.

Back