Leaves only look sick on one bine of three?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winnph

Reaction score
So I can't figure out what would only affect one of the shoots like this, though it looks like either a nutrient deficiency or overabundance. The only fertilizer I've used is Espoma Plant-tone, which I sprinkled on the soil surface as directed about a month ago. It's possible that I sprinkled it a little thicker in some spots than others, though I made an effort to do it uniformly.

Here are a couple shots showing the affected leaves, and a growing tip for comparison:

ForumRunner_20120527_143741.jpg

ForumRunner_20120527_143759.jpg

ForumRunner_20120527_143812.jpg

And here's a shot just to show the setting:

ForumRunner_20120527_143826.jpg

Plant tone is organic and pretty mild so its probably not over fertilization. If its been a month you should probably give it another dose. It looks like a very mild deficiency, nothing to worry about. Be sure when you add the plant-tone to pull back the layer of mulch first then water it in well. Once hops get going they can take a good bit of nutrients so give it a medium dose(3/4 cup) every 2-3 weeks.

The only thing I can come up with is that the afflicted bine is right by the edge of the pot, so it may be getting really hot during the day. That is also an awfully small pot to grow hops in.

bottlebomber said:
The only thing I can come up with is that the afflicted bine is right by the edge of the pot, so it may be getting really hot during the day. That is also an awfully small pot to grow hops in.

Yeah, it's the third season for the plant, I'm going to transplant once the roots look uncomfortable. This last time it nowhere near filled the pot, and I repot it each season.

I moved the other one to the ground this year, but it's growing a lot slower so far.

Back