Still getting sediment??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tw0fish

Reaction score
Hi pals. I hope we've all had a good time with out assorted coldtime holidays :mug:

I made a cyser, waited til the primary ferment petered out and cold crashed it. Then I racked it after a week or so, sweetened with (virgin) cider and back into the fridge it went. This was perhaps four days ago.

The virgin cider was upstairs in the food fridge at probably 38-40 degrees F, the fermented stuff was cold crashed in the beer fridge downstairs which I cranked to 28.

Thing is, I'm still getting sediment in the bottoms of the jars. Like, lots of it! Is stuff precipitating out still or is my yeast somehow still cranking along at 28?

If it was crystal clear when you sweetened it, then I'd say that it is fermenting. But if it wasn't crystal clear when you crashed it, it will settle out now that it's colder.

an airlock while it's in my fridge? I suppose so, sure. hm.

I think yooper got it partway, and my brother probably got the other half of it. I may have degassed it in backsweetening and bottling.. and since it went from cold fridge to really cold fridge there may have been pectin settling out.

I just bottled the batch, and poured a small glass of the remainder.. felt like pectin :)

I know that sounds odd but you asked if your yeast was still cranking along at 28 degrees. the air lock would answer that, or better yet your hydrometer would(By the way I seriously doubt it still fermenting)

Latest posts

Back