Bubbles in your Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abiehl88

Reaction score
Beer in my glass,

i have these Miller Glasses that I got free from Woodmans which have a miller lite etching on the bottom.
These glasses create tons of CO2 bubbles in the beer.

All the other regular glasses i have don't create any bubbles.

Same Keg, same time poured.

Is it the etching that creates the bubbles?
If so, what would those glasses be called besides "Glasses with Etching"?

You're exactly right. It is the etching.
It's usually done by laser, so you'd probably call them "Glasses with Laser Etching" :D

How do you clean your beer glasses? All my beer gets bubbles coming up from the bottom, and what your describing sounds normal.

How do you clean your beer glasses? All my beer gets bubbles coming up from the bottom, and what your describing sounds normal.

They actually etch the bottom of the glass(inside) causing a constant and increased release of carbonation. It's a way to fake head retension, I guess.

The Sam Adams glasses have the etching too. Would like to add one to my collection at some point. I don't see how it fakes anything though. I mean it doesn't create any co2 themselves. It's coming from the beer. Sounds like it's enhancing the experience, I would say that is a good thing.

Another Thing....what if i brought glasses to a etching place.....if i put my name on the inside by etching, would that kind of show up at the head of my beer? Such as putting a big G on the bottom, would it show it as foam on the top?

Or i could get the normal people that come over's name etched, so we would know who's beer is who's by just looking at the head.:mug::fro::fro:

The etching in the Sam Adams glass simply provides a nucleation point for the CO2 to come out of solution and float to the top so that your beer can retain a nice foamy head throughout the entire glass. It's the exact same thing on glasses that you drink out of that weren't entirely cleaned properly. You will see a collection of CO2 bubbles sticking to the glass in those dirty spots.

I don't believe the etching is anything special or proprietary at all. A glass etching place would most likely be able to do it for you. I know the Sam Adams glasses simply have a small circle etched into the bottom of glass, though it doesn't actually form the head in that same shape. A letter shaped etch isn't going to give you that letter in the head of the beer, it will have the same effect as a circle.

Matt

well i guess it was a fun experiment/idea while it lasted.

I went to the laser etching place today, they said they wouldn't be able to etch inside of the glass, probably just didn't want to go through the hassle of doing it, since i know they could somehow.

Now i'm trying to find a place that sells glasses with the etching, mostly looking for mugs.

New Belgium globe glasses and the pint glasses that samples come in at the New Glarus brewery have them as well. The ones at New Glarus have the state of Wisconsin etched in the bottom. New Glarus sells them at the brewery and New Belgium sells them on their website.

I am not sure if you should have the CO2 coming out of solution at the rate that the glasses cause but it doesn't seem to have any negative effects on taste. I love my New Belgium and New Glarus glasses.

You can buy acid etching cream at Amazon, or probably any hobby store. Smear a bit in the bottom and follow instructions. You can also use it to custom etch the exterior of your glasses by masking off a portion with tape.

It is called Armour Etch. Costs a few bucks for a small jar.

The Sam Adams glasses have the etching too. Would like to add one to my collection at some point. I don't see how it fakes anything though. I mean it doesn't create any co2 themselves. It's coming from the beer. Sounds like it's enhancing the experience, I would say that is a good thing.

Got these as a gift from SWMBO, and I have to say they are awesome !

I need to order 4 more !! Something about them, just makes beer taste and look better. :mug:

Got these as a gift from SWMBO, and I have to say they are awesome !

I need to order 4 more !! Something about them, just makes beer taste and look better. :mug:

I appreciate the feature set and the look, but I really like how they fit in my hands - and I have big hands. Unlike typical straight-side heavy beer glasses, these never feel like they're imminently going to slip down and crash on the floor without maintaining a death grip. These, you don't need to squeeze 'em, just cradle 'em below the bell between thumb and middle finger. Puts the Relax in RDWHAHB ;) (and puts less heat into the glass).

We live 35 minutes from the Boston Beer pilot brewery and don't need much motivation to visit for a tour, free tasting glasses, and to pick up some more of their custom glasses. Pricey glasses, though, at $8.50 per, but last weekend we discovered there was a deal for us brewery touristas: if we caught a free trolley bus ride over to a local Irish pub and bought any Sammy's at their regular bar price, they'd give us free glasses (and a ride back to Sammy's when we were ready).

Limit was one per tourista, but still. We had intended to buy four more glasses but only had to buy two, got the other two filled with beers, and got to try two pilot brews that Sammy hasn't released yet. An excellent day!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back