Yeasts eat bacteria? Myth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theredben

Reaction score
Ever since I started homebrewing I have heard the odd comment about yeast eating the bacteria in the beer once fermentation is complete. I have searched high and low, and cannot find anything that remotely confirms this. Is this just a myth??

Ever since I started homebrewing I have heard the odd comment about yeast eating the bacteria in the beer once fermentation is complete. I have searched high and low, and cannot find anything that remotely confirms this. Is this just a myth??

It's not true, that's for sure. Where have you heard this?

I have never ever ever heard this before, and I've been brewing for close to 14 years.

Yeast eat sugar. The production of alcohol will kill off the bacteria but it's still there. It's just dead.

i think its the byproducts (from fermentation) that they eat. clean up after themselves. never heard they eat bacteria.

Yeah, I've never heard that either.

myths_everywhere0.jpg

It's not true, that's for sure. Where have you heard this?

I have never ever ever heard this before, and I've been brewing for close to 14 years.

I have only heard it a few times, but here is one (not so clear)example from a current thread:

"there is most likely some bacteria in your sanitized fermenting vessel just not the type the yeast cannot handle."

I was quite confident that was not the case, but was wondering if my googling skills needed some refreshing. Thanks.

Yeast eat sugar. The production of alcohol will kill off the bacteria but it's still there. It's just dead.

Not always, Lactobacillus can survive in a fully fermented beer, so can Pediococcus, Brettanomyces bruxellensis and Acetobacter.

My point exactly, I have seen brewing microbiology books reccomend plating 1.0mL of beer, and only if you have more than 10 colonies to start worrying. That is the problem with myths, you can find information suggesting those myths are not true, but not actually anyone proving it directly.

The yeast we use don't possess the cellular mechanisms necessary to ingest and digest an entire bacterium, so it's simply not true...

As for the bacteria in beer and yeast out competing them, it's mostly true. When the yeast are in full swing reproducing and gobbling up food, they are multiplying so fast that other organisms have a hard time getting going. Once the yeast slow down and settle out, other organisms have the opportunity to start up where your yeast left off.

Perhaps they were implying that yeast could eat the dead micro-organisms if they were sufficiently broken down which could happen if they were not suited to the enviornment of beer. Still a bit of a stretch though since even if this did occur it would happen on such a small scale as to be insignificant, assuming the beer was good and not spoiled.

Back