American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edwort, You need one more post to 11,000! Woah! I was just gonna post that it's been a while since I made this beer and I should try it again with my electric all grain rig (and maybe a scosh of citra in the keg afterwords)... Great work and thanks from all of us on the forum for your insights!

Have a question....

I just brewed this as my first AG. It came out quite good and I was pleased, however, I was a little surprised that it wasn't more hoppy. It has a very good malt/grain tasted with a little hop flavor. Is this normal?

Have a question....

I just brewed this as my first AG. It came out quite good and I was pleased, however, I was a little surprised that it wasn't more hoppy. It has a very good malt/grain tasted with a little hop flavor. Is this normal?

Yep. Quite normal.

My intent on developing this recipe was to brew a beer that was...

Easy to brew
Inexpensive to brew
Appealed to a broad range of beer drinkers.

I've met many folks who have had a bad homebrew experience and my Haus Ale is a hit at every party I take it to (the keg is always empty early) and even the BMC drinkers enjoy it and come back for seconds, thirds, etc.

So back to your question, it is not supposed to be very hoppy, just a flavorful easy to drink brew.

Ed! this was one of the first AG's i ever brewed way back in march 09 and it is still a staple at my house thanks for a simple great beer.

/hmm can't remember the last time i saw you in this thread either/

I am going to brew this again. This time 30 gallons worth. Splitting with a friend. Keeping 5 gallons for myself and 10 gallons for the christmas presents. So I will need 12 oz of hops. I have lots of hops in the freezer. But I only have 8oz of cascade.

What should I substitute for the remaining 4oz of hops? What part should I add the hops in the boil? Or should I just buy more cascade?

P.S. I have a buddy who loved this beer. He is a huge bmc drinker and doesn't like anything else. Well I gave him a pint of this he liked it a lot as stated. When he grabbed a bottle of bmc, he did not like the bud anymore. He said it was very flavorless. So I agree with many others, this is a beer to brew to convert others.

Just put this one in the primary. Pre-boil gravity = 1.044, post-boil = 1.053. I came up a tiny bit short on my post boil volume so I just topped off with 1/4 gallon. I have been getting crazy boiloff rates...like 17%! I really don't want to make any adjustments in Beersmith since the weather will start to get a little cooler in the coming weeks.

Has anyone brewed this with US-05 or S-04? With notty having problems, has anyone done a side by side comparison with this beer?

Has anyone brewed this with US-05 or S-04? With notty having problems, has anyone done a side by side comparison with this beer?

Notty having problems? There was a long time ago; is it happening again?

Edit - Oh, and BTW, US-05 is just fine with this, similar to Knottingham, at least when either are femented at the lower end of their temperature ranges. S-04 has more esters and tastes different. I don't really recommend it for this, but YMMV.

My cascade's are only 5%, how do I adjust amounts to make them equal of the recipies 6.6%?

Example: If the recipe calls for 1 oz of 6.6% Cascade, multiple the quantity by the AA. So, 1 x 6.6 = 6.6.

Then take the 6.6 and divide by the AA of your Cascade: 6.6 / 5.0 = 1.32.

So basically you have to use 1.32 oz of the 5.0% Cascade to achieve the same AA as the 6.6% Cascade.

There ar a few calculators here: http://www.jimsbeerkit.com/hop_calculations.htm#hopweightcalc The one you are intersted in is the last one.

John

Thinking of brewing this with a .75 oz addition of juniper berries with 15 minutes left in the boil. I'll most likely substitue the bittering hops with magnum just because I have a lot of magnum, but will keep the flavor and aroma hops Cascade

Thinking about brewing this beer on Friday, can't seem to find any Crystal 10 though. I do however have some Caramalt extract from Morgan's, and I've heard it's similar to Crystal 10. Think I can use that instead?

I'm getting a 5.75% ABV and only 22 IBU when entering the recipe in beersmith. I'm thinking of reducing the alcohol to about 4.5% and adding .25 oz Perle to get the bitterness close to 30 IBU. Any thoughts? The 22 IBU value seems low to me.

I'm getting a 5.75% ABV and only 22 IBU when entering the recipe in beersmith. I'm thinking of reducing the alcohol to about 4.5% and adding .25 oz Perle to get the bitterness close to 30 IBU. Any thoughts? The 22 IBU value seems low to me.

Just brewed this one up today, and it was a good day, first time I hit all my numbers dead on during an AG brew :D

BeerSmith predicted 22 IBU's for this one for me as well, however BeerSmith also specifies a 20-40 IBU range for an American Pale Ale, which this falls under. I'm guessing this won't be a particularly bitter beer, but I also don't think it is supposed to be either.

And assuming this one ferments down to BeerSmith's predicted gravity, mine will be at 5.79% ABV

Anyway, after all the responses to this recipe, I am very excited for this one to be ready to drink! :mug:

i ready to try this one again tomorrow,except i have added 1/2 lb of aromatic malt, and i may use Columbus for bittering. I screwed up my 1st batch and it went sour. so well give this a whirl again.

The last can you brew it I listened to featured a similar beer, only big difference was a little crystal 20 and a dry hop. Never tried the beer (cardinal pale ale) but it inspired me to whip up some of ed's classic.

Brewed this on Saturday. Just checked the carboy, most violent fermentation I have seen yet! Good thing I am using a blow off tube.

i ready to try this one again tomorrow,except i have added 1/2 lb of aromatic malt, and i may use Columbus for bittering. I screwed up my 1st batch and it went sour. so well give this a whirl again.

My first attempt at this recipe was also slightly sour. Everything else about it was fine...and it was still quite drinkable despite being sour. I entered it into competition because I wanted feedback. The judges said that it may have been mashed too long.

I'm sitting here now giving it another try...sorta. The grain bill is exact but I am using all Palisade hops this time.

I've never used them before and figured this recipe was the one to test with. :D They have a pretty unique aroma and at 8.1 alpha they should work fine for bittering. I've read mixed reviews so I am curious to see how this turns out.

I've got:
1oz @60
.75 @10
.5 @ 0

41 IBU

Just brewed this one up today, and it was a good day, first time I hit all my numbers dead on during an AG brew :D

BeerSmith predicted 22 IBU's for this one for me as well, however BeerSmith also specifies a 20-40 IBU range for an American Pale Ale, which this falls under. I'm guessing this won't be a particularly bitter beer, but I also don't think it is supposed to be either.

And assuming this one ferments down to BeerSmith's predicted gravity, mine will be at 5.79% ABV

Anyway, after all the responses to this recipe, I am very excited for this one to be ready to drink! :mug:

Actually, 30-45 IBUs are the pale ale range:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style10.php

I'm going to be doing some late extract addition and perhaps add .25 oz perle at 60 minutes to get it above 30. I'm doing the partial mash recipe from Brewmasterwarehouse.

My first attempt at this recipe was also slightly sour. Everything else about it was fine...and it was still quite drinkable despite being sour. I entered it into competition because I wanted feedback. The judges said that it may have been mashed too long.

I'm sitting here now giving it another try...sorta. The grain bill is exact but I am using all Palisade hops this time.

I've never used them before and figured this recipe was the one to test with. :D They have a pretty unique aroma and at 8.1 alpha they should work fine for bittering. I've read mixed reviews so I am curious to see how this turns out.

I've got:
1oz @60
.75 @10
.5 @ 0

41 IBU

I brewed this sunday as described, used 1/2 oz Columbus at 60 min, and finished off with Centennial. he Nottingham kicked off at 12 hours and bubbled violently for 3 days, stopping today. will crash chill, filter, and keg sunday or monday

I made this with +.5lb of 10L Crystal and +.5 Cascade @ 60 with WLP007 Dry English Ale, and am looking forward to trying it :D

ok, I crash cooled overnight and just finished filtering and kegging. beer looked good and finished out at 1.010. tested a sample, a little bitter,but thats the Columbus Hopps. I'm force carbing for a couple of days. with any luck I'll be sipping this on thanksgiving while i watch the turkey turn on the spit

The 8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt in this is just regular american 2-row right or is it Pale Malt, Maris Otter or something like that?

The 8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt in this is just regular american 2-row right or is it Pale Malt, Maris Otter or something like that?

You have a little flexibility there. I like Great Western's northwest pale malt myself, Just a little toastier than a typical base grain. Just my opinion, the standard base grain made great beer too, I (barely) remember blowing a keg made with domestic 2 row tailgating at a seahawks game last year. It was the darling of the parking lot.:drunk:

I only have these grains to choose from so I didn't know which one would be as close to this recipe or similiar.

Ale Malt, NW (GWM)
American 2-Row
Pale Malt, Maris Otter
Pale Malt, Belgian

I think the recipe starts to creep towards blonde ale when you use the plain two row and closer resembles the picture in post #1 with the pale ale malt.

Your results may vary, of course. The recipe is solid. It will make good stuff either way.

I should let someone else voice their opinion on this as well but here goes...

My answer to that is if you want a slightly toastier/richer beer, go for the darker kilned base malt

If a slightly crisper/paler beer is what you crave, go with the domestic 2 row.

the differences are small. Not unnoticeable, but choosing one or the other wouldn't ruin the beer. Again, I like the Great Western NW Pale Ale malt. Brewing is all about little choices that make snowball changes in the finished beer.

Replicating beer 100% doesn't happen often from two different brewers. You can hand two people identical ingredients and recipes and you'll almost always be able to detect a difference between the two final products side by side. Processes are different from person to person. Boil Kettles have slightly different dimensions, fermentation temperature controls vary, water mineral content is is not a constant. These are just a few of the variables.

Anyway, RDWHAHB. The beer tastes great either way.:mug:

I should let someone else voice their opinion on this as well but here goes...

My answer to that is if you want a slightly toastier/richer beer, go for the darker kilned base malt

If a slightly crisper/paler beer is what you crave, go with the domestic 2 row.

the differences are small. Not unnoticeable, but choosing one or the other wouldn't ruin the beer. Again, I like the Great Western NW Pale Ale malt. Brewing is all about little choices that make snowball changes in the finished beer.

Replicating beer 100% doesn't happen often from two different brewers. You can hand two people identical ingredients and recipes and you'll almost always be able to detect a difference between the two final products side by side. Processes are different from person to person. Boil Kettles have slightly different dimensions, fermentation temperature controls vary, water mineral content is is not a constant. These are just a few of the variables.

Anyway, RDWHAHB. The beer tastes great either way.:mug:

Sounds good. I guess I will just see how I feel when I get to the brew store and just pick from there. Thanks. :rockin:

You got it man!

Ended up grabbing some pale malt at the brew store and I am ready to go for tomorrow. Gonna throw in an extra oz of cascade at the end of the boil for aroma but otherwise it is all the same. :rockin:

I just ordered the ingredients for this beer. Hope to brew it this coming weekend.

1599 posts....gotta be a good beer

I asked about this in this beginner's brew forum but nobody seemed to know if the following is ok or not. I was about to cold crash a batch of this recipe in particular so I thought I'd ask here, too, in case one of you learned folks knew if this was going to be a bad move. :drunk:

It's getting cold outside theses days and I have a closeted pantry with very thin walls. I'm thinking of cold crashing the beer (it's done fermenting) but I've never cold crashed a beer before due to lack of chilling equipment.

My question is this: Does it matter if the temperature fluctuates about 15 degrees, so long as it stays cool? This week it's supposed to be in the high 30s at night and low 50s during the day. Will the fluctuation in temperatures become a problem?

Also there's a window in the room so I'm thinking of tossing a blanket over my food grade plastic Ale Pale bucket. Is that being overcautious when it comes to light hitting hops?

Thanks!

I've got:
1oz @60
.75 @10
.5 @ 0

41 IBU

I'm quoting myself. :ban:

I just pulled my first sample of this from the keg. It came out quite awesome, if I do say so myself. I'll leave it alone for a bit longer to condition.

I kept the grain bill the same except for adding 1oz of Biscuit malt. Then I hopped with the above schedule using Palisade.

I also brewed a batch of the Haus Pale Ale using Cascade (per EW's recipe) but it is still sitting in secondary.

Back