FWH Amarillo Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottD13

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do an Amarillo Pale ale for a while and have been wanting to FWH too so this is what I'm thinking....

6.5 gallon batch
Target OG 1.049
Target IBU 57
Mash at 153 for 60 minutes

11lb 2 row Halcyon Pale malt
.5lb crystal 20
.5lb white wheat

.75oz Amarillo 9%aa FWH
.75oz Amarillo 9%aa 60 minutes
1.5oz Amarillo 9%aa 5 minutes

Safale 05

Having never FWH'ed before I'm not sure what to expect. Any FWHers out there?

I've only used FWH in one of my own recipes (a Pils), so take this FWIW but...I would personally move all the bittering additions to FWH and go from there.

it gives a more rounded out bitterness. I always FWH. It definitely is not the same as a 60 min addition though, in terms of IBU contribution.

From the looks of it, it seems you calculated the FWH as a 60 min, or maybe more, when figuring out our IBU. Am I right? I calculate FWH as a 20 min addition and it seems pretty accurate.

Either way, I think that for your gravity, you have the right amount of hops for ur beer. I don't think 57 IBU in a 1.049 beer would be balanced at all.

Amarillo is Effing awesome! I just guzzled down my amarillo/vienna smash about 5 min ago...

it gives a more rounded out bitterness. I always FWH. It definitely is not the same as a 60 min addition though, in terms of IBU contribution.

From the looks of it, it seems you calculated the FWH as a 60 min, or maybe more, when figuring out our IBU. Am I right? I calculate FWH as a 20 min addition and it seems pretty accurate.

Either way, I think that for your gravity, you have the right amount of hops for ur beer. I don't think 57 IBU in a 1.049 beer would be balanced at all.

Amarillo is Effing awesome! I just guzzled down my amarillo/vienna smash about 5 min ago...

for the FWH I just used the default settings in promash. I'll have to look into it.

It definitely is not the same as a 60 min addition though, in terms of IBU contribution

I remember reading where FWH actually increases utilization over a standard 60 min additions. It's just the perceived bitterness that is different.

...I don't think 57 IBU in a 1.049 beer would be balanced at all. ...

I would agree. If you are trying to stay within American Pale Ale Guidelines, you would have IBU of 30 - 45, with OG of 1.045 - 1.060. Maybe 32 IBU would balance nicely...

I used Amarillo on the batch currently in my fermenter. It smells grate. My IBU is 29. Hope it turns out!

I'm drinking an IPA that was FWH with amarillo. Then just late hopped and dry hopped with both amarillo and cascade. The bitterness is very smooth. I think I'll start doing FWH more often. As far as IBU, I went with the default in Beer Alchemy, seemed to work out.

I read on the beersmith website that FWH utililazation is about 10% more than a normal bittering addition. I Would just do your FWH and then push your 60 minute addtion to somewhere around 10mins and up the amount to a full ounce. That way you should get the smoother bitterness of FWH with a good Flavor & Aroma.:mug:

I've been wanting to do an Amarillo Pale ale for a while and have been wanting to FWH too so this is what I'm thinking....

6.5 gallon batch
Target OG 1.049
Target IBU 57
Mash at 153 for 60 minutes

11lb 2 row Halcyon Pale malt
.5lb crystal 20
.5lb white wheat

.75oz Amarillo 9%aa FWH
.75oz Amarillo 9%aa 60 minutes
1.5oz Amarillo 9%aa 5 minutes

from what you posted I get :

Anticipated OG: 1.050
Anticipated SRM: 4.3
Anticipated IBU: 43.1

I have promash set @ -65% for FWH.
Add 20g for dry hopping and its a nice easy drinking APA:mug:

-----------------------------------------------
21g. Amarillo 9.0 First WH
21g. Amarillo 25.6 60 min.
42g. Amarillo 8.5 5 min.

from what you posted I get :

Anticipated OG: 1.050
Anticipated SRM: 4.3
Anticipated IBU: 43.1

I have promash set @ -65% for FWH.
Add 20g for dry hopping and its a nice easy drinking APA:mug:

-----------------------------------------------
21g. Amarillo 9.0 First WH
21g. Amarillo 25.6 60 min.
42g. Amarillo 8.5 5 min.

Sweet, thanks!

I remember reading where FWH actually increases utilization over a standard 60 min additions. It's just the perceived bitterness that is different.

That's my experience. I've heard that many have decided to replace their 20 minute additions with FWH, and in my experience that's not the way it's turned out.

I still got plenty of bittering, but it's the character of the bittering that's different. I have my Beersmith settings to have the FWH the same IBUs as the 60/70 minute hops additions. It works out for me.

Well I brewed this up over this past weekend with some changes.
Amarillo Pale Ale v1.1

Target OG 1.051
Actual OG 1.058
Target IBU 47.5
Actual IBU 54.3

Grains
12lb Halcyon Pale Malt
.5lb Crystal 20
.25lb Crystal 55
.5lb White Wheat

2 oz Amarillo 8%aa FWH carried over to boil
1 oz Amarillo 8%aa at knockout

Safale US05

Mashed 60 minutes at 152f. Mash with 4.25gallons of water: 1.28qt/lb. Infused mash with 2.5 gallons of boiling water for a 10 minute mash out at 168f. Collected 5.25 gallons of first runnings at 1.067. 3.5 gallons of 170f infused for second runnings. Collected 9 gallons at 1.051. Boiled 60 minutes, added whirlfloc at 10 minute remaining. Chilled, whirlpooled, racked off the trub and pitched.

Fermenting at 64f....looks and smell wonderful, has a fresh bread smell with a nice citrus aroma blowing out the airlock.

Back