Looking for a place to buy grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdf

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am looking into buying my grains in 50 lb. bags, and crush it myself to save money.
I live near Birmingham, Al. and was wondering if there is a place within driving distance that sells grain to individuals?
Within a two - three hour drive would be great, and save on shipping.

Thanks for your help,
Kevin

You could check and see if AlaBrew would order it for you. They're right on 1st Ave. North about a mile off I-59.

How much brewing do you do? I'm new to it, and don't really know anybody else who brews (I'm in Hoover...)

If you have a brewpub nearby you could ask the brewer if they would let you buy grains from them when they make thier bulk purchase.

I buy my grains for $17 a bag through a brewery.

AlaBrew is the shop I use to get grain now. I just send them an email of what I want and they crush it up for me.
I just recently ordered hops from Direct Hops. I love that place. Saves me lots of money because I brew IPA's most of the time.
I brew at least once a week most of the time.
There's no brewpup around here unfortunately.
I will keep looking though.
Okay, I have to go, I just put my pot on to boil, and I need to rack a brew over to secondary.
Thanks,
Kevin

Buy from a local brewery if possible. They can get the deep cuts and even if they add some on top you will save in the end. You can propably get hops, yeast and specialty grains from them as well.

Back