Geyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DetroitOS

Reaction score
Twelve hours ago I put a batch of Vanilla Porter in a five gallon better bottle. This morning when I went to check on it and it was bubbles galore, knocked my airlock right off too. I'm worried that all my yeast has foamed out of the bottle, if that's an issue or even possible? What should I do?
1000997smallka8.jpg

Do a quick search for "blowoff" tube/hose

Not sure how to best affix one of those to a BB, but bottom line, the yeast is protecting the remaining wort, you should not have any infection problems unless you did something else wrong. Now go clean up your airlock, figure out a way to get a blowoff on there, and think about fermenting the next batch in something with a little more headspace.

Don't worry, this happens lots of people...

Do a quick search on "blowoff tube", it's basically a long tube in thhe neck of te bottle brought down into a jar of water or sanitizer. It acts as a giant airlock while directing any extra foam into a containable mess...

Edit: Dammit beaten to it, must stop opening several threads at once... :mug:

Just get a carbung that will fit a good amount of hose. Grab one of your empty 1 gallon water bottles that you used to brew the beer. :) And run the hose from the carboys carbung to the jug halfway full of water. This exact same thing happened to me - it was scary and exciting all at the same time. Dont worry, just rig a blowoff tube for a day or so then it will be safe to put the airlock back on.
-Me

Just get a carbung that will fit a good amount of hose. Grab one of your empty 1 gallon water bottles that you used to brew the beer. :) And run the hose from the carboys carbung to the jug halfway full of water. This exact same thing happened to me - it was scary and exciting all at the same time. Dont worry, just rig a blowoff tube for a day or so then it will be safe to put the airlock back on.
-Me

Like this?
1000999oo1.jpg

Isnt this exciting that its happening to you on one of your very first brews! I mean, I was kind of excited when it happened to me from the get go. Its like 'wow all these crazy anomalies they talk about on dat dere HBT forums is actually happening here in my closet!!'

Well, its the little things that amuse me. :)
Welcome to it bud
-Me

Isnt this exciting that its happening to you on one of your very first brews! I mean, I was kind of excited when it happened to me from the get go. Its like 'wow all these crazy anomalies they talk about on dat dere HBT forums is actually happening here in my closet!!'

Well, its the little things that amuse me. :)
Welcome to it bud
-Me

To know things are working is exciting but I was bummed to see so much coming out. This is the last time I use a 5 gallon bottle for a 5 gallon batch. I actually had a hard time sleeping last night thinking about this happening but I'm happy to know it's not that big of a deal.

Thanks for all the advice, great forum.

It happened to me, in my secondary, on my first batch. I was just an idiot and racked to the (5 gal) secondary before fermentation was complete.

Some beers will do this even if you use a proper amount of beer for the carboy. Just use that blow-off, and a proper amount of headspace.

Some of the guys around here are almost as proud of their blow-off as they are of their kids!

Back