Yet another strange thing that came to me for Free, HELP IDENTIFY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerapinChef

Reaction score
So this thing shows up unexpectedly on my porch yesterday. After making a few calls, it turns out it was my uncle. A friend of his came across it somewhere, didn't know what to do with it, gave it to him. He didn't know what to do with it, gave it to me. So now that I have no idea what to do with it, I ask you guys. SWMBO took the digital camera to work today, but I scanned the owners manual that was inside of it.

So without further ado, I give you the RTP-50 (sounds like a rocket launcher)

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

Like I said, no idea. It's about the size to hold a bubba keg, but I've never seen one with the tap on the bottom....

Maybe rip the guts out and build a fermentation chamber? How cold does it get? What about using it as a glycol chiller and run beer lines to every room in your house? :rockin:

That thing is vintage- probably early 60's. I have never seen one like it, but have seen the kegs (Falstaff and others) that it is supposed to chill. They are the equivalent of the current 5L mini kegs that are sold.

I would say leave it as is if in good condition, and sell it. I am sure to collectors of breweriana, that thing would bring a decent price. Then use the money to buy some brew gear you need/want.

EDIT: Actually a quick ebag search turned up something similar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Falstaff-tapper-draft-mini-keg-antique-beer-cooler_W0QQitemZ290282977293QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item290282977293&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

With a beer brand to add to my search, it turns out that Falstaff only made their "tapper" kegs in 1963 due to a lack of customers returning them for deposit, the expense of continously producing them was too great. Looks like I'll never be able to fill this thing, I think I'll either try to sell it or use it for some project....

I remember my dad used to get those. They sat on a shelf in the refrigerator. Seems like they were Falstaff or Stag, something nasty.

I have never seen a special "refrigerator" for one.

Back