Blanche de Chambly Noire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishops

Reaction score
I recently had some Unibroue blanche de chambly noire on tap. The first thing out of my mouth was "I have to brew this."

I can't quite place it in a BJCP category. Basically, it's a fairly thin, spritzy belgian ale with a ton of fruity esters and malt in the nose, color is black with ruby toward the edge of the glass. Everything about the flavor screams "fruity belgian pale" except for a mild undercurrent of roast somewhere at the back of the tongue. Thin mouthfeel, IBUs probably in the high teens, sold malt backbone with a whole lot of belgian yeast character up front. The greatest thing about it is in a blind test you would never know it was a dark beer.

I haven't brewed a belgian before, and I'm not sure where to begin with this recipe. I can taste Special B, belgian pils and I'm assuming candi sugar. Any ideas? Also, I'm not too familiar with the tons of yeast strains available, any suggestions?

This is a great beer! I just tried this a few weeks ago and was wanting to replicate it aswell but it might be too complicated for myself

Oh... By the way! it is: Noire de Chambly.

Blanche de chambly noire would be like saying Chambly's white black!

Doh!

They have a big tower that says Blanche De Chambly with two taps on it, Blanche and Noire. So I just assumed...

Anyway, anyone have recipe ideas?

I found this clone recipe in all about beer magazine. I just think it was misprinted because I don't think the ingredients are all there. I think they left out the wheat malt??? I'm no expert at piecing together recipes so I'll post what was there and hopefully someone more knowledgable than myself can chime in to get it right. Here is the recipe per that magazine.

5 gallons
OG-1.065/ 16 P
Bitterness:20 ibus
Color: Mahogany, with pale tan head
Yeast: Belgian wheat strain such as wyeast 3942 or white lab WL400

All grain efficiency calculated at 75%

3lbs pale ale malt
3lbs melanoidin/dark Munich/Aromatic (as long as it is atleast 50 EBC/25 lovibond)
1lb instant oats
3 oz carafa II
1 pound rice hulls (for help with lautering)

.6 oz northern brewer(7%) 60 mins
.5oz freshly ground coriander
.5oz powdered licorice root(optional)
.1 oz star anise
Mash at 152 for hour, then raise to 170 for mash out, then begin sparge.

Thats it. Doesn't seem right to me. Some one please help, it looks like a tasty beer and I'd like to try brewing it also.:mug:

I found this clone recipe in all about beer magazine. I just think it was misprinted because I don't think the ingredients are all there. I think they left out the wheat malt??? I'm no expert at piecing together recipes so I'll post what was there and hopefully someone more knowledgable than myself can chime in to get it right. Here is the recipe per that magazine.

5 gallons
OG-1.065/ 16 P
Bitterness:20 ibus
Color: Mahogany, with pale tan head
Yeast: Belgian wheat strain such as wyeast 3942 or white lab WL400

All grain efficiency calculated at 75%

3lbs pale ale malt
3lbs melanoidin/dark Munich/Aromatic (as long as it is atleast 50 EBC/25 lovibond)
1lb instant oats
3 oz carafa II
1 pound rice hulls (for help with lautering)

.6 oz northern brewer(7%) 60 mins
.5oz freshly ground coriander
.5oz powdered licorice root(optional)
.1 oz star anise
Mash at 152 for hour, then raise to 170 for mash out, then begin sparge.

Thats it. Doesn't seem right to me. Some one please help, it looks like a tasty beer and I'd like to try brewing it also.:mug:

That sounds... interesting. The 3lb dark malt addition seems too vague, I can't imagine anyone using 50% aromatic in a recipe. Not a bad jumping off point though. Also I can't figure out why you'd need a full pound of rice hulls in an all barley recipe. They must have left out the wheat.

Bumping this thread, since this is the only recipe I can find for Noire de Chambly.

Anybody have any input on this recipe? Or perhaps a better recipe?

I'd add some table sugar to it. I haven't had the beer in years, but I remember it being really dry and airy, so probably has a bunch of sugar to dry it out like that.

Not sure on the above accuracy, but you could try something like this and see if it comes out close then make changes from there.

try something like:
6lbs pilsner
4lbs wheat
.5lb munich
6 oz Carafa III
1 lb cane sugar

Then spicing and hopping like above. I think the Unibroue yeast is available year round, use that as it finishes really dry and is very fruity.

That recipe from the beer magazine doesn't sound anywhere close to me. I'd say it's a lot closer to beeraroundtowns. I'd go with something like this as it gets you closer to the color and ABV:
10.5lb pils
1lb dark candi sugar
1lb biscuit or aromatic (or half n half)
.5lb munich
.25lb roasted barley
I'd also use styrian goldings and/or saaz for the hops instead as most of their brews do.

Its actually Chambly Noire.

This is my favorite beer.. its actually what got me into homebrewing.

I've been trying for a long time to get close.. no luck.

It's a Belgian Black Ale.. not a very common style.

As far as yeast, you can use 1388 or the Wyeast seasonal Canadian ( I forgot the number)

It tastes like there is definitely wheat in there.

Back