FG has been reached should I bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmidc

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a noob home brewer and just got my first batch in the fermentor 4 days ago. The bubbling stopped like 36 hours ago so I checked the the level and the final gravity reading is right on for what the kit calls for. My kit says to go ahead and bottle when I reach this level. I'm not sure this is a good idea. I've read here and in books that you wait 14 days in the primary but since my FG has been achieved can I go ahead and bottle? And let the conditioning happen in there? Or should I just hold off and tough it out with the wait? It's just it tasted pretty good, and I'm already getting thirsty!

Although your fermentation has finished, the yeast is not done with it's work. The yeast will clean up it's waste product and your beer will clear if you leave it a couple more weeks. Your first instinct is correct, never ever bottle 4 day old beer no matter what the direction say.

Buy some good beer and be patient for a while longer, your beer will be better for it. Welcome to HBT!

Did you take a temp reading also? Most people don't say they did one way or another.

When taking a gravity reading you should take a temp reading first so you know if the gravity reading needs to be adjusted up or down (depending on the season)...;)

Either way, it's still too early to rack...let it sit a while longer...

I had unchanged Hydrometer readings for 5 days in primary... Racked to secondary. It has been in there for over a week with no change. Then this morning i noticed the airlock bubbling. i haven't taken another reading but plan to in a day or 2. IMHO i would let it sit for a few more days. Better to let it sit and clear a little than have to mop it up off the floor after an explosion. It won't hurt anything for it to sit a little. And definately buy some good beer... lots of it. Then you'll have extra bottles!

I've gotten in the habit of completely ignoring my beer (except for temperature of course) for at least a week after pitching, usually longer. I couldn't care less if my brew reaches FG in a few days, it's still going to sit in primary for a week or two (or three) before racking to secondary or bottling. Don't get in a rush or your brew will suffer for it (I have learned this the hard way). There's plenty of good brew at the store to hold you over.

Thanks guys. You are all just reaffirming my gut feeling. I'll leave it sit for a while longer. In the mean time I'll work on gathering more bottles. :mug:

I'm having the same trouble. Want to get to drinking this stuff. Gonna go to my LHBS and join the local club, then I can drink thier beer while I wait for mine :rockin:

Back