Problem - Peach smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagrant

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I havent posted in a while, but here goes..

I brewed a (dang good) stout based off Tuck's recipe. I made a dumb mistake and didnt prime the first 12 or so bottles. So I primed the majority the right way, finished my bottles, then dumped the 12 bottles back into the bucket, primed it, then filled my bottles again. I've used that method maybe twice before.. I always forget to prime.

Anyway, I was smart enough to separate the ones I did right and my screw ups. I tried a screwup about 3 weeks ago and it smelled like peaches but tasted fine... Any guesses on that one? I've been working a lot lately but I dont recall reading about peach scent being related to any contamination (but I could be wrong).

I have read that, in other food applications, peach smells is a sign of some toxin. I drank the "peach stout" before I read that, and it didnt seem to hurt me or the 3 other people that tried it.

The other bottles by the way... Outstanding brew. Inch thick brown head, the initial bitterness mellowed out very well, sweet, but not too sweet, I could go on...

Any guesses on the problem?

tasting of peach:
having an aroma and flavor associated with fresh, ripe, uncut peaches
generally an ester from fermentation; overripe fruits are generally a sulfur and considered a fault.

That is taken from this site:

BJCP Vocab Words

Which is a great site for determining flavors and how to get them and prevent them in your beers, and just look up general homebrew knowledge.

Could have been oxidation too. From teh BJCP Vocab site:

staling: degradation of character by having contact with oxygen, manifesting as stale, sherry-winey, rotten-fruit or vegetable, acidic, cardboard, papery, musty, and rancid

It gives other definitions and explinations for oxidation this is just #4.

Back