Heading to Denver, what should I drink, where should I eat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
Subject sort of says it all. I live in Virginia so I'd like to drink anything I can't get out here. The obvious is Fat Tire, which is pretty good, but what are some others that I can try of any style.

Also, I heard about a tap house with about 70 beers on tap, can't think of the name. Any other restaurants you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

The Falling Rock Taphouse is a must stop.

From the Fallng Rock, you are within a few blocks walking distance from several breweries. Great Divide, Wynkoop, Breckenridge, Flying Dog, The Sandlot at Coors Field and The Denver Chophouse and Brewery.

You are also in walking distance of The Pints Pub and The Cheeky Monk via the 16th St Mall and a short cab ride from The Bull and Bush out in the Cherry Creek area.

Brewtopia said:
The Falling Rock Taphouse is a must stop.

From the Fallng Rock, you are within a few blocks walking distance from several breweries. Great Divide, Wynkoop, Breckenridge, Flying Dog, The Sandlot at Coors Field and The Denver Chophouse and Brewery.

You are also in walking distance of The Pints Pub and The Cheeky Monk via the 16th St Mall and a short cab ride from The Bull and Bush out in the Cherry Creek area.

Flying Dog is now closed.

But otherwise, I agree. Last December when I went up there (to hit flying dog one last time before closing) all of the places mentioned are within walking distance. Plus downtown is just a damn cool place.

Great Divide had some tasty brews and would highly recommend checking out their brewery.

The Wynkoop is definitely a worthwhile destination. Try the Shepards Pie and some of their cask-conditioned IPA :tank:

Originally posted by riored4v
Flying Dog is now closed.

Thanks for the heads up.

I knew they were moving the brewery operations to Maryland but wasn't aware that it had happened already.

Brewtopia said:
Thanks for the heads up.

I knew they were moving the brewery operations to Maryland but wasn't aware that it had happened already.

Yup, happened mid-december i believe. I was there when they were doing some of their last tours. Made sure to pick up some Collaborator Dobblebock and some Barrel Aged Horn Dog.:mug:

I actually just got back from Denver. Falling Rock is a must go place. Very cool folks who know there beer. Tell them the style of beer you want to drink and they will bring you a beer that is one of the best of that style you have ever had. I had a wonderful time there. As others have mentioned, once you are at Falling Rock, you are in a very cool part of town, plenty of places to go get a drink or a bite.

Pints pub isn't exactly walking distance from there, I mean it is close, but I know I wouldn't walk it. Pints Pub is kind of meh for me anyway. I asked the same question you did, and it was recommended. If you have nothing better to do, it is not a bad place to go, it is kind of cool to be able to get cask conditioned beer. However IMO, their beer is sub par. There #1 beer, an ESB called Alchemy, was probably the best beer. It had good flavor, but it had about as much body as a Bug Light. Very average beer at best. But, the food is good, and the people I met were cool, so I had a good time regardless.

Dont miss out on Falling Rock though, you will regret it.

I live in Denver and Pints Pub is sub-par indeed. If you have time, go to Boulder and visit either Mountain Sun or Southern Sun. They brew some of the best beers in the area.

I really like the Pints Pub. I also find it to be pretty easy to get there on foot. Catch the 16th St Mall Ride from LODO and take it to the other end of town. from there it's only a few blocks. I really like their IPA and their selection of Single Malt Scotch is hard to beat.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and for breakfast, head to Dozens. Directly across the street from Pints Pub

Not for the beer but to me, the Buckhorn is a must eat spot in Denver if your into wild game.

I second the Mountain/Southern Sun, but news to you all, they are opening a restaurant in Denver soon, not a ton of info yet, but they have an address..

"Mountain Sun finally debuts in Denver!

The Big news is that we have finally found a suitable place for a Mountain Sun Pub in Denver. The pub is in a beautiful historic building on 17th and Vine in the historic Uptown neighborhood in Denver.

Check out our remodel photos by clicking the link below. Check back frequently for updates.

http://web.mac.com/kevinjdaly/Mountain_Sun_Denver_/Vine_Street_Pub_Construction.html"

Thanks for all the suggestions....

Falling Rock was a great place, pretty empty when I was there and really bad service. Not that I expecting anything great but I hated my beer sitting there empty for 5 minutes when there is nobody there. But, cool place and would go back. There onion rings were great.

Wynkoop was very good. I of course ordered the Shepard's Pie as recommended and wasn't disappointed. I only had 1 beer there, some sort of brown ale which was pretty good.

I also stopped by Bristol brewing company in Colorado Springs. Neat little place that serves beer and pretzels, can't do that out here in Virginia. Had a wheat, winter, smoked porter, and something else. All pretty good. I'm not a big fan of Porters but I really enjoyed this one. Proceeds were going to charity so maybe I wanted to enjoy it even more as a result.

The Brazilian steakhouse was great. Nothing like having people constantly serving you meat. I had a Fat Tire to wash it down. My taste in beer has changed a lot over the last year (last time I was there) and found Fat Tire to be a little too malty (it was still great, but not as good as I remembered).

Also had something from Big Nose or something to that effect and New Belgian Wit. The Wit was really good, I could have drunk that all day.

All in all great stuff. You know it is a great city when the mayor owns a brew pub.

Sounds like a great time.

If I'd have known you were going to Colorado Springs, I'd have sugested that you visit Phantom Canyon Brewing as well. I love their IPA.

Everyone's mentioned brew pubs. For bottled beer try something from Odell's. Easy Street Wheat and 90 Shilling are their most popular. Widely available in CO but tough to find in VA I'm sure. Fort Collins Brewery makes an interesting pomegranate wheat called Major Tom's. Also, If you haven't tried New Belgian's Mothership Wit I highly recommend you do so.

citabria said:
Everyone's mentioned brew pubs. For bottled beer try something from Odell's. Easy Street Wheat and 90 Shilling are their most popular. Widely available in CO but tough to find in VA I'm sure. Fort Collins Brewery makes an interesting pomegranate wheat called Major Tom's. Also, If you haven't tried New Belgian's Mothership Wit I highly recommend you do so.

I remember 90 Shilling being a pretty good beer.:drunk:

I was in Denver a few weeks ago for a winter beer festival at the Oriental Theatre and hit most of the spots mentioned above. I was completely blown away by the Taphouse, they had Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale on tap, in late January, also give the Green Flash a try while you're there.

I also second the Chophouse for food but definately for their beer, I was very impressed with all of their offerings. Wynkoop is right down the street too, loved their C2K Schwartz.

For food I would recommend Rodizio Grill right across the street from Wynkoop and it's the closest you can come to a meat overdose.

Pints pub was great for food but I'm finding out that cask isn't my favorite style, but the people were great. Rock Bottom on the 16th st. Mall had quite a few on tap but nothing that blew my mind.

I would definately reccomend going to the Cheeky Monk, I was able to drink my own 750 bottle of La Folle from New Belgium for under 20 bucks. That's reason enough to never leave.

If you decide to go to Ft. Collins don't skip O'dells although the Easy Street and 90 are great definately get the 5 Barrel Pale and the IPA. Coopersmiths is real close to there and they have a ton of suprises too.

I could go on and on so I should quit now.

Have fun, if you're headed through Lawrence, KS don't skip Free State and 23rd street brewery and also pick me up and take me with you.

I absolutely love the Breckenridge Brewery. And from drinking at both the one in Denver and the one in Breck, I think the one in Denver has better tasting beer than the one in Breck.

Back