In fermenter too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsv1204

Reaction score
Brewed my first stout a few weeks ago. I overshot the SG a bit (target 55, hit 60). Got a good ferment going in about 18 hours that slowed to almost nothing after about 4 days - so far, so good!

Took a grav reading at 1 week and was about 1 point shy of the finished gravity (at 20, shooting for 10 or less)... So I let it sit for another week, checking gravity every other day and seeing little movement.

Transferred to secondary (mostly to enjoy looking at the inky black goodness) this past Saturday. After a wee bit of bubbling in the airlock, it has stopped completely.

Btw, it tastes fine at this point. A little hoppy for a stout but that's what I was going for.

I will be bottling this and priming with corn sugar (no filtering).

Question - will I run into carbonation problems (yeast too sleepy) if I let this brew sit too long? It's only been three weeks in the fermenter, which hasn't been a problem before, but it just seems to be too quiet...

you will not have a problem.

Seconded. The longer you keep it together in the fermenter or secondary, the better. It conditions much faster in a larger container, despite it not looking like much is coming out of the airlock. Don't worry, you'll have enough yeast in suspension for carbonation, when you add more simple sugars.

--Jimbot

Back