Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know if this works with the GE 7.0 from Home Depot? Everything I see in this thread regarding this freezer seems to point that it can't get warm enough turning the screw all the way in clockwise.

I didn't have any luck with that. it got to just about 32F, water was well frozen in it.

I attached a piece of copper sheet to the control arm of the switch where it rubs on the cam which controls the temperature. might be beyond some folk's ability... forgot to check this morning what the temperature was at, but it seemed to do the trick. now just have to fine tune things.

Long time lurker, first time poster.
:D

I just got the GE freezer from Home Depot delivered and have been futzing with the adjustment screw with no success.

I didn't have any luck with that. it got to just about 32F, water was well frozen in it.

I attached a piece of copper sheet to the control arm of the switch where it rubs on the cam which controls the temperature. might be beyond some folk's ability... forgot to check this morning what the temperature was at, but it seemed to do the trick. now just have to fine tune things.

How is it working? Do you have pics of the modification?

Once I am off work I am going home to get a closer look at the Cam on that thermostat.

-James

So my freezer went from holding at 37f up to 50f over the course of the last couple of weeks. My basement went from about 68f to 58f in that timeframe, is that to be expected? I adjusted the screw and have it set to about 37f again.

Has anyone gotten one of these to work with this mod?
I got one for free and started messing with it before plugging it in. Turned both screws 4-5 times lefty-loosy and the compressor rand for 3 days without stopping. Eventually it got REALLY hot to the touch so I unplugged it. I never noticed any cooling of the chamber. The walls got a bit cold but that's it. No drop on the thermometer I have in a plastic soda jug filled with water.

Wondering weather I should scrap it and just go buy a newer one?

DSC02047.jpg

There are tiny screws inside the "cut in" and "cut out" holes. I assume if I turn those counterclockwise, it will run warmer? Turn both the same amount? Some insight would be helpful.

Goob said:
How high might I be able to get the temp? Would like to get to 55 deg F to brew some lagers.

This really isn't ideal for fermentation temp control, since you can't control the actual beer temp. And I can almost guarantee you won't get a freezer that warm.

I really recommend looking up the "eBay aquarium temp controller" thread for an actual temp controller that shouldn't run you much more than $20.

I'm curious, sir, as to how this trick is working for you. Lots of Home Depot GE freezer owners out in the field after Black Friday (myself being one) that would like to see if your technique solves the issue. I can see exactly what you're describing on my coarse adjust shaft, but I don't want to start gluing things to it if it won't go the distance. I can hit 32F and 60F, but currently can't get anything in between.

is there a consensus as to what models work easily and what are PITA? i'm currently looking for a freezer to start kegging, probably new but maybe used. from reading through this thread it seems Frigidaire and GE aren't exactly winners, and these seem to be the most popular brands in my area. looks like some are having good results from Magic Chef??? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

It worked is what I have to say.

I wish I had a more accurate thermometer. I have it sitting in water and it is reading 30 deg F. I told it that its not nice to lie, but that's what it reads. I had to do a more accurate test by putting some beers in the bottom, letting them come to temperature and then drinking them. Best tasting thermometer I've ever met. :cross:

Here is what I did: (Wish I had pictures, but I am at work)

Gain access to the internal part of the lever by removeing the stickers on the sides.

Move the follower off of the cam using a screwdriver.

Take a small shim and check the fit on the follower/ cam set up.

Trim as necessary.

Glue the shim to the follower.

*Curse at the drop of superglue that sticks everything to everything*

Make sure no glue is touching anything else.

Let dry for an extended period
*Don't test it before its dry, it will pop out in a hilarious fashion causing more cursing*

Plug the freezer in and let it sit. Mines working great. Threw a collar on it this weekend. Cheap pine for a stand in until we can get money together for a nice red oak one.

IMG_20111210_122829.jpg

Hey I bought a new feezer recently and followed your advice and it worked perfectly! My freezer is now operating at 40F. It took some time, but I got it! Thanks for the info it saved me a few bucks!

Bought a frigidaire 5.0 new, popped the thermostat out and gave the screw 10 clockwise turns before I ever plugged it in. The next morning, the temp was at 50°. Backed it of off 3 turns and now it's holding steady at 39°. Thanks for saving me money on an external thermostat!

It worked is what I have to say.

I wish I had a more accurate thermometer. I have it sitting in water and it is reading 30 deg F. I told it that its not nice to lie, but that's what it reads. I had to do a more accurate test by putting some beers in the bottom, letting them come to temperature and then drinking them. Best tasting thermometer I've ever met. :cross:

Here is what I did: (Wish I had pictures, but I am at work)

Gain access to the internal part of the lever by removeing the stickers on the sides.

Move the follower off of the cam using a screwdriver.

Take a small shim and check the fit on the follower/ cam set up.

Trim as necessary.

Glue the shim to the follower.

*Curse at the drop of superglue that sticks everything to everything*

Make sure no glue is touching anything else.

Let dry for an extended period
*Don't test it before its dry, it will pop out in a hilarious fashion causing more cursing*

Plug the freezer in and let it sit. Mines working great. Threw a collar on it this weekend. Cheap pine for a stand in until we can get money together for a nice red oak one.

IMG_20111210_122829.jpg

can we git pics or even a little drawing of what this looks like? The GEs are the most available and cheapest around me, so I am thinking about getting one, but if its too big a PITA, i wont

I have a Haier 5.0c, thermostat seemed to be the same as #192, found the adjust. screw and gave it a whirl. Seemed the best I could get it to was 20 F, kept going until the screw finally came out. While trying to get it back in I took the thermo apart and, well lets say it doesnt quite look the same...

Am I porked? should I get new thermo and try again or just fall back on the external controller...

I just tried this on my little Vassani kegerator. It will only go down to about 46*F, I would like it to go to 38*F.

I guess I'll see in the morning...

:ban:

I've said it before in this thread, but I will say it again: this is the most awesomenest thread in the world!

My Danby "Chill n' Tap" kegerator wouldn't hold a temp lower than 42 or so, I had to drill a hole in the casing of the thermostat on the top inside the fridge, just to get at the course adjust screw but I got that sucker down to 15f! lol, toooo far.

In this fridge, clockwise makes it colder, counter clockwise is warmer. I've now got it dialed in to mostly keep the liquid temps at 34. Air temps range from 28 through 38 or so but my beer is super cold now.

That's fridge number 2 that has greatly benefited from this thread!

Awesomenest!

i just bought a a419 for 55 bucks at ebay.. grrr hmm, oh well. I can use that one for a future lager fridge.

I have a Frigidaire 7.2 cf. This was my exact thermostat and the coarse adjustment was right where you pointed out. Can't thank you enough for the pictures. Happy brewing!!

Do you have any pics of this? where exactly is it located on the freezer?

Without reading through 23 pages of this thread......can I also use this same technique to convert a chest freezer into a fermentation chamber? We are talking in the range of 50-60 degrees.

Thanks for the info! I am wondering if this would work to make a freezer extra cold. Since storing a frozen yeast bank is best the colder you get... I would think having a freezer at -40 for that would be awesome.

Without reading through 23 pages of this thread......can I also use this same technique to convert a chest freezer into a fermentation chamber? We are talking in the range of 50-60 degrees.

I don't believe so since there is an upper limit most folks hit with their set screws to where the freezer just doesn't run anymore. Ferm temps are pretty high up there (comparatively). You almost certainly would need a temp controller for that. In fact even if your freezer could regulate around that temp, the swings would be a bit much for what I would want out of a fermentation chamber.

Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

I just got this freezer. On page 7 of this thread someone posted this exact model and showed a picture of the temperature screw. Mine is slightly different as there is no tape covering anything and I looked on the side of it as well and couldnt find anything. Anyone make anything out from this picture?

2012-02-02_20-07-52_551.jpg

There is a notch on the top that prevents this thread from being turned more than a rotation either way. I cannot figure out if the screw is under that 'plate' or not and if so how do I get to it.

I put in a johnson analog for now which is holding fine.

Just curious what people make of the picture above. It doesn't look like other peoples Frigidaire 7.2 models. I got it from Best Buy.

what I did was to wait till the temp was at 38, then turn the screw in until the compressor stops. (read below)

Note:
You can get shocked for doing this unless you know how to protect your self.

Warn you now, don't try this.

Don't sue me.

You shouldn't even touch your Chest Freezer. Besides, it messes with the warranty.

So I messed with the temp box with it plugged in and I got a hurge spark. Unplugged it to clean it up. I plugged it back in. Checked on it after a couple min and the compressor was ruunning. I'll see what it looks like in the morning , and hope I don't have to replace it.

Update: It still does work, but I can't get the temp to go above freezing. I have turned the screw all the ways clockwise. It's a holiday chest freeazer

Ok so I took a couple pictures of my holiday LCM050LC

I think the yellow one is the coarse screw, but I turned it all the way clockwise and it still freezes. I looked into the hole, and the spring goes all the way down when I turn it clockwise

6922987137_11b3b6a878.jpg

Here is the other side

6922987155_333916aec4.jpg

Do you think I have to take off the front knob and see what's under there. I tried once, but it wasn't coming off easily. Sorry for the bad pics I don't have a good camera.

I checked it pretty regular once I got my thermometer. I concluded that it was below freezing when the two buckets of water had ice forming in them or were completely solid (which always seems to happen to mater if it's screwed in all the way in or out)

Update: I took the fine temp knob off, and I didn't see any screws behind it. I also ended up loosing the gold screw to much and now it's not attached to the spring. Any ideas of how to reattach it?

I just bought the Haier 7.1 CU Ft model from Costco the other day. Last night I removed the thermostat through the front panel and located what I believe to have been the coarse adjustment screw. I began turning it clockwise until it seemed that it was either all the way in or stripped. I was only able to turn it a few times before it seemed like I couldn't turn it anymore. It's still at freezing temps. I'm pretty sure the screw is now stripped out...it seems to be made out a very soft metal. I was very careful when making the adjustments, but to no avail. I'll likely have to buy an external temperature controller.

Back