Is over-carbonation a big problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyrenus

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first batch this weekend and I feel as though I understand the process pretty well. One question I still have is about over-carbonation.

I've read that after the beer is fully carbonated you could (should?) move the bottles to somewhere cooler so that the yeast goes dormant. Is this necessary, or can I leave my beer at room temp for extended periods of time until I'm ready to drink it?

It seems as though the yeast should stop when they run out of food in the bottles.

IF you do everything correctly, you are fine to store at room temp (Cooler is better).
If you screw Something up...like decide to bottle on day 4 or something, yes you'll end up with over carbonation and potential bottle bombs. Also, adding too much sugar will cause over carb, but 3/4 cup (5 oz) is a safe and proven amount of sugar to add.

If you ferment and prime properly, you can store your bottles at room temperature indefinitely. Sometimes it's suggested to keep them in a cooler place- that simply slows down the aging process, so your beer will taste better longer. That's never a problem in my house- I've never had a beer around long enough to age!

If you follow the 3/4 cup corn sugar per 5 gallon batch you'll be fine with carbonation.

If the beer is over carbonated it can come across as thin, acidic, or sharp from the carbonic acid tang.

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could help explain what are the primary causes of over-carbonated bottles. LHBS mentioned contaminated storage vessel, bottles, or poorly mixed priming sugar in the wort. My friend and I try to be as sanitary and thorough as possible while cleaning and brewing/bottling. Any other tips or ideas would be welcome. thanks and cheers!

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could help explain what are the primary causes of over-carbonated bottles. LHBS mentioned contaminated storage vessel, bottles, or poorly mixed priming sugar in the wort. My friend and I try to be as sanitary and thorough as possible while cleaning and brewing/bottling. Any other tips or ideas would be welcome. thanks and cheers!

WTF? Over carbonating usually has to to with an improper measurement of the sugar addition and perhaps the yeast strand. If it were contamination you would taste it. The sugar wants to mix. Diffusion. Just gently stir.

My biggest cause of over-carbing has been bottling before I should. On occasion, my sg has remained steady, but higher than I thought it would end at. Make sure that the fermentation is done, not stuck!

my last 2 batches appear to be over carbonated-upon opening the bottle, everything looks fine, then, after about 10 seconds the beer starts to foams very quickly, and I have to pour it quick in order to avoid foaming over. it's bizzarre. there are no apparent off-flavors. both beers were in primary for 1 month, og acheived and checked for 3 consecutive days. both primed with 3/4 cup corn sugar mixed evenly in a bottling bucket. and now both beers have been in the bottle for more than a month. it is strange. the only issue I have is the foaming causes the sediment to stir up, making the beer turbid. sucks. never had this happen before. anybody???

If you refrigerate the beer, yes the yeast will go dormant... but if you let the beer sit somewhere cooler (say 60-65 F), then you will actually get more carbonation...

Here's a blog post that explains it in more detail: flat home brew beer

my last 2 batches appear to be over carbonated-upon opening the bottle, everything looks fine, then, after about 10 seconds the beer starts to foams very quickly, and I have to pour it quick in order to avoid foaming over. it's bizzarre. there are no apparent off-flavors. both beers were in primary for 1 month, og acheived and checked for 3 consecutive days. both primed with 3/4 cup corn sugar mixed evenly in a bottling bucket. and now both beers have been in the bottle for more than a month. it is strange. the only issue I have is the foaming causes the sediment to stir up, making the beer turbid. sucks. never had this happen before. anybody???

Sounds like you've got a "gusher" infection. That happened to me with a batch a few years ago. Not much you can do about it now, but make sure you bleach bomb those bottles before using again, and maybe everything in your brewery. Double check the spigot on your bottling bucket, and clean everything well. I'd toss any plastic, and buy new plastic items (like tubing) since it's pretty cheap.

Sounds like you've got a "gusher" infection.
really? even though there are no discernible off-flavors? ok then, I don't have a spigot, but i'll be replacing the bottling bucket and tubing, possibly the bottle filler as well. what about my auto siphon? i've tried to keep it as clean as possible. and i'll be nuking my bottles with bleach before bottling again. thanks so much for the help.

My biggest cause of over-carbing has been bottling before I should. On occasion, my sg has remained steady, but higher than I thought it would end at. Make sure that the fermentation is done, not stuck!
How do you know if your fermentation is "stuck" and if it is, how do you jump start it again. I am brewing a simple brown ale with a OG of 1.03 and accoreding to my software, I should have a FG of 1.011 to 1.016. Right now it has been sitting at 1.022 for the past 18 days. Is it done or stuck?

How do you know if your fermentation is "stuck" and if it is, how do you jump start it again. I am brewing a simple brown ale with a OG of 1.03 and accoreding to my software, I should have a FG of 1.011 to 1.016. Right now it has been sitting at 1.022 for the past 18 days. Is it done or stuck?

It seems like you currently have some O'Douls.

I have noticed that with some beer types it foams / creates more head than in other beers. I just experiment with the amount of sugar and cut back to 4.5 or 4 oz of sugar during priming and it has helped.

However the standard rule of 5 oz is what I use on a first time batch.

Latest posts

Back