Ball lock kegs - poppets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
I have 6 or 8 assorted ball lock kegs. I try to keep all the part together when I strip one down to clean it, but I think I have switched up a poppet, but I am not sure.

The keg is full of beer. I cannot get the grey gas in connect to latch on to the "in" valve. It's like it won't go down far enough. I can push gas into the keg through the "out" valve with the grey gas in connect.

Have I mixed up the poppets on just this keg? Or do I have poppets from a different keg (which is entirely possible).

Thanks

Alan

Sounds like you may have switched the posts, although I thought they were different threads to prevent that. Most of the poppets are pretty standard and most work with different posts. And if you are easily able to connect then disconnect your gas QD to the liquid post, it's most probably a problem with the QD. I did that once, and it took pliers to remove it.

It's the posts. There is a difference between the in and the out. I can never tell when I look at one, but I never looked at one next to one of the side-by-side photos.

You could just use a black liquid disconnect on your gas line and a gray gas disconnect on your dispense line for now, and then fix it for next time.

I have black o-rings on my out posts and blue o-rings on my in posts so that I can tell them apart when they're disassembled.

So you think maybe its just the posts, not the poppets?

I'm just spit-ballin here, but I would say yes, prolly the posts or the QD. I don't think poppets would affect the seating of the QD.

Do you mean that, when you screw the poppet onto the keg, the post inside the poppet is not flush with the top of the poppet, and it looks like the poppet just needs to screw on a little more?

If so, check and make sure your gas in "dip tube" (the one inside the keg) has an o-ring. I had the same thing happen to me last week and just couldn't figure out why I had that tiny space. Then -doh!- IO realized there was no dip tube o-ring on the thing.

Awesome, thank you! I will try to figure it out tonight.

Alan

Do you mean that, when you screw the poppet onto the keg, the post inside the poppet is not flush with the top of the poppet, and it looks like the poppet just needs to screw on a little more?/QUOTE]

Nope, from the outside both posts look fine. I just can't get the quick connect to snap into place. I think ksbrain might have the answer. I will check when I get home tonight.

Alan

Check the posts first as suggested.
But, if you look inside the QD, you'll see the little rubber "nub" that depresses the poppet when the qd is installed. SOME poppets are longer than others, will bottom out and cannot be depressed.

Do you mean that, when you screw the poppet onto the keg, the post inside the poppet is not flush with the top of the poppet, and it looks like the poppet just needs to screw on a little more?
I think you have the terms 'poppet' and 'post' backwards. The poppet is the little thing with the spring that goes inside the post. The post is what screws down onto the keg and you attach the QDs to.

IN posts usually have notches in the wrench flats (or have the 12-pt star pattern), OUT posts don't.

I think you have the terms 'poppet' and 'post' backwards. The poppet is the little thing with the spring that goes inside the post. The post is what screws down onto the keg and you attach the QDs to.

IN posts usually have notches in the wrench flats (or have the 12-pt star pattern), OUT posts don't.

+1

posts.jpg

And knowing that I still managed to put one together backwards and not notice till it was full. Fortunately, I used all MFL connectors in my kegerator so it was a simple matter to swap the liquid/gas connectors on the lines and hook it up. Now I just have to remember to switch it back.

Thanks for the correction, guys. It's important to use the correct terms, especially on an internet forum, where expressing precisely what you mean can be difficult.

Back