Yeast from carboy for bread making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nullpointer0x00

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this isn't entirely beer related but, I would like to reuse some of the yeast from the bottom of my carboy to make bread. Has anyone tried this? If so do you have any tips or recipes.

Thanks

I've made pizza dough using beer yeast, it came out good (it was a American Brown - so very little hops)

2 cups flour
3/4 water
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
~2-3 Tbsp yeast slurry

AZ, sounds like my pizza dough recipe. I also add 1 Tbsp of olive oil.

Mix in the bread machine on the dough setting for 20 minutes, and refrigerate overnight in a ziplock bag. It is good in the fridge for 4 days or so.

I've done this before too, however due to the hops in the trub I have a tendacy to only make rye breads with caraway seeds with the yeast cake, and I still dont' do the straight dough method for them, keeping more twards a bread starter, like a poolish.

Now, top-cropped blowoff yeast, on the other hand, is awesome for all kinds of bread, I just did a "belgian country baguette" in which the dough was kinda a french country baguette (normal baguette dough with some rye and whole wheat) done with a little spent grains, and the yeast was WLP530 from a top crop. turned out awesome.

I partial wash my trub for bread. I have made a sourdough starter from my Wheat Beer recipe and also pizza dough.

If I am keeping the yeast I will boil 2 cups of water prior to siphoning. Cool it to room temp, and using a sanitized 1 quart pitcher I will scoop up whatever I can get in one pass, not trying for specific amount just getting whatever I can. Then pour the boiled water in the pitcher give that good swirl make sure everything is in suspension and let that sit ffor 15 - 20 mins. Any hops or break material will fall out and your yeast will be in suspension, pour off the liquid into a jar, and place that in the fridge for a day. The sediment in the jar is your yeast. When you are ready to dough pour off the liquid, this isn't needed, I use a teaspoon of the yeast sediment for pizza dough and 2 or 3 for sourdough starter. Oh, make sure to take your yeast out of the fridge and raise to room temp prior to pitching in dough.

Does the use of a beer yeast (hefeweizen, for example) impart a different flavor to the bread?!

Back