Orange Peel in a Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
Picked up some ingredients today for an extract version of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. I have some extra Orange Peel left over from a previous brew and was thinking about throwing it end at the end of the boil. Every recipe that I can find that includes orange peel, also includes corriander. All I'm looking is to maybe help compliment the citrus flavor of the cascades, will throwing the orange peel in there help it out without the addition of corriander as well?

Was even thinking of maybe using amarillo instead of cascades...will adding say an ounce of sweet orange peel do anything noticeable?

You'll definately taste and smell the addition of an oz of orange peel. It will give a pronounced orange flavor, but might be what you are looking for. Amarillo or cascade will play nice. If you can measure by the gram as well as by oz, try 3-4 grams each of an amarillo/cascade blend. Maybe knock it up to 1/4 oz each for 5 min addition?

You'll definately taste and smell the addition of an oz of orange peel. It will give a pronounced orange flavor, but might be what you are looking for. Amarillo or cascade will play nice. If you can measure by the gram as well as by oz, try 3-4 grams each of an amarillo/cascade blend. Maybe knock it up to 1/4 oz each for 5 min addition?

Thanks. Sounds like a plan. This will actually be my first time using Amarillo, so interested in seeing the results.

Add the orange. It be good. Not your traditional pale ale, but good. No need to add corriander. I've made a pale ale with just the orange (similar to recipe by Black Lab in recipe database) and it was good.

Next question...is an ounce a good amount to add? I do want the citrus flavor to be present, but I don't necessarily want it to be overpowering. Should I maybe scale it down to .75 or .5 ounce?

Depends! How 'orangy' do you want it? Add more or less depending on what you want. I'd personally opt for the lower amount because I like my orange zest to be more subtle.

Depends! How 'orangy' do you want it? Add more or less depending on what you want. I'd personally opt for the lower amount because I like my orange zest to be more subtle.

Yeah, guess I won't really know until I experiment. Probably gonna do this as a 3 gallon batch so if it doesn't come out so good...no big deal.

Back