Plastic primary retaining odors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutigers81

Reaction score
I think I usually do a fine job keeping my equipment clean, but no matter what I try my plastic primary bucket retains that lovely beer aroma. Now I plan on making a cider and want to use this primary, but am concerned that I might get a hint of beer in my cider and vice versa if I start using the bucket for both. Tell me I'm just being paranoid, or that there is a way to get my primary completely clean.

To cure (remove odor): Fill the container with water. Add one cup of Clorox (bleach) and 10 pounds of common salt (rock salt will do), to each 25 gallon size container.

My plastic primary always retains a sharp odour. I have tried detergent, as well as the sanitiser I use. As far as I can tell, it doesn't really affect the beer in an adverse way (although I don't really have anything to compare to). When you think about how little of the brew will be in contact with the sides of your ferment, and how strong the flavour/smell of the brew itself is, I can't imagine it causes too much harm.

FWIW, I had a primary fermenter bucket that also had some residual odor. After a batch once, I cleaned it with PBW as usual, allowed some smaller items to soak in it overnight, but this one time, after I took all the smaller items out, I covered it and forgot about it for about 4-5 days. When I dumped the PBW solution out and rinsed it, the odor was completely gone.

I use Better-Bottles now for my fermenters, so I don't have to worry about any carry-over odors.

John

This is the only time I use bleach on my brewing equipment, to remove odors and stains from the buckets. Berry ciders can really make a mess.

I know it's been beat to death, but I've done cider, then wine, and now beer- each time the smell in the bucket seems to be replaced by the newest thing brewed there, and no noticeable adverse effects.

Brew on, and if you're really worried, hit it up with a cleaner (I use straight-A, for preference) and let it sit for a while.

Oxyclean does a great job as well. Put in 2-3 scoops, fill it with water and let it sit for a few hours. Cleans it up real nice.

so lingering smells arnt to bad huh? im holding a few buckets right now that REAK of pickles... im to poor to buy retail beer equip so I collect from a catering place down the street. Think a horrid run-you-out-the-car pickle stink would botch a batch?

david_42 said:
This is the only time I use bleach on my brewing equipment, to remove odors and stains from the buckets. Berry ciders can really make a mess.

Why?I use bleach all the time for sanitizing am I doing something wrong?:eek:My beers all tase fine.:mug:

Porter fan said:
Why?I use bleach all the time for sanitizing am I doing something wrong?:eek:My beers all tase fine.:mug:
No, you're not doing anything wrong. However, you are running the risk of ruining a batch IF you do not rinse good enough, that's all. Just continue what you're doing and you'll be fine.:D

Back