Clumpy DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipscman

Reaction score
I read somewhere that DME mixes better in cold water. While steeping the specialty grains, I mixed 3 lbs of DME in a pot with 2 gallons of tap water. Didn't mix well at all so I used an electric mixer. Mistake. Way too aerated.

What are you experiences with this? Have you found a "best way" to mix DME in water?

Thanks!

I always use hot water and add slowly, like really slowly. The clumps will eventually dissolve. Just be sure to stir vigorously if you're adding it on a burner or the clumps might scorch on the bottom of your pot.

Terje

Hot water will disolve sugar better than cold and dme is just sugar so I don't see how dissolving in cold would be better. Only issue I have with disolving in hot water is the steam causing clumps as the dme is poured in but that's minor. The whisk sounds like a better idea than a spoon though.

Also this is one of the advantages of full boils. Real easy to disolve all the dme in 5 gallons.

Doesn't using a which aerate the wort quite a bit? My understanding is that we want to avoid aerating hot wort (above 80 degrees). Am I missing something here?

Great ideas, BTW.

so it only matters AFTER you turn off the heat until done with the wort chiller? Is it just during that period you want to avoid aeration?

Yup! Oxygen introduced before or while boiling is driven off by boiling.

Forget you ever heard about hot-side aeration. It is a great big bogeyman. You have to work really, really hard to hurt your beer by hot-side aeration. I've never seen a home-brew setup capable of it.

So RDWHAHB! :D

Bob

Hot water - usually first touch of boil.

Heat off - I brew on an electric stove, so I physically remove the pot from the burner - with gas just turn off the flame.

Add and stir - if you have help, add while stirring.

Stir until there are no clumps, lumps, etc.

Put back on heat. Scoop the hot break before it boils over.

Hot water dissolves it much easier. The clumps stay clumpier in colder water. When I first got started with a Mr Beer kit, it said to dissolve the sugar in cold water, then raise to a boil, and add the canned extract. I don't know why their directions were so opposite of what I do now. But I'd definitely go with hot water.

Back