Cal Common Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omahawk

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY Cal Lager 2112
Yeast Starter
2 L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Great Pilsner Flavor, Soft on Palate
6 gallons in boil kettle, 5.5 gallons into fermenter, 5 gallons into keg.

10 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.89 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.89 %
4.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2.22 %
0.90 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (90 min) Hops 16.8 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.30 %] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) with 2L Starter

Mashed at 150 degrees.

Fermented at 60-62 degrees for first 4 days. Raised temp slowly to 68 degrees by day 7.

I've been tinkering with this recipe - always going for something along the lines of a Helles Ale. I really liked what the Cal Common yeast contributed on this go around and will use it again. I had this sucker in the keg in 10 days. It was hazy for the first 4-5 days, then cleared through cold crashing.

The neighbors and I killed the keg pretty much in one night. I enjoyed this beer as the Pilsner and Munich add great malt flavor, while the late Hallertuaer addition is a nice subtle kick - BMC-drinking neighbors really liked it too. I might have converted one or two to craft beer.

I used Cascade for bittering since I had a big bag of it, but I'm assuming anything remotely neutral that gets you 15-20 IBUs would work. Late Hallertauer addition contributes some nice flavor. Next time I'll aim for about 25 IBU through a little more bittering addition.

A friend of mine and I were talking about doing something very similar (using Common or Kolsch yeast)to find a way around the long lagering process for lagers, pilsners, Octoberfests, etc. If it works this well I'll definately give it a try. Did you get any esters or ale flavors or did it come out pretty clean?

Yes, it was a very clean finish at the 60 degrees I fermented at. After 4 days at 60-62 degrees, I let it ramp up to room temp (gradually over a few days to 68-70 degrees). I've done a similar recipe with Kolsch yeast, and liked that too, but I found the Kolsch slightly fruitier and softer than the California Lager yeast.

I've done true German lagers before and liked this one just as well. It's a slightly different finish, lacking the slight sulfur taste of a true lager, but it's nice and neutral finish without the need for oxygenating the wort and huge starters. I did do a lot of aeration and a 2L starter.

I will add that I've heard people fermenting Cal Common yeast in the mid to upper 50s. I have not taken it below 60 myself.

Back