Bottle capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eLborracho

Reaction score
Hello people, I'm new to the forum and had a question about bottle cappers. My wife and I were bottling yesterday. I always use the two lever bottle capper as she fills up the bottles. We decided to change duties because she wanted to give it a try. Subsequently she ended up breaking it somehow and it would no longer crimp the caps evenly all the way across. Would a stand up vintage style bottle capper be easier and more consistent to use? Other than twisting the caps to check for looseness is there anything else I should be looking for?

Oh yeah, try it. Bottling with a wing capper is very scary. I used to break at least one bottle per batch. They pull on the neck, and it’s easy to get it cocked. Bottles are different, some work better than others.

A bench capper is faster easier and safer.

eLborracho said:
Sierra Nevada bottles

Ill have to check my stash out later. But what I've noticed is some bottles will either not crimp all the way down or will crimp slightly crooked. These may have a different gap between the top and ring where the bottle capper grips to crimp the cap, causing it not to crimp all the way. But I do believe those will still carb.
Have u tried to use the capper on a long neck bottle? Just to see if capper still performs, Not the shorter Sierra Nevada ones.

Bench capper is the way to go- faster, safer, easier. I fill bottles with one hand, then cap them with the other- can do them back-to-back with a little practice.

Used it on all kinds of bottles, no issues.

Latest posts

Back