Autumn Seasonal Beer Rented Mule Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rented_mule73

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
California WLP001
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Orange
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
True to the style, biscuit.. finishing with Pumpkin Spice Notes .....
8# English 2-row
2# Munich
1# American Wheat
.5# 60L
.5# 80l
.5# Rice Hulls

60oz Libby's canned pumpkin (not prespiced pie filling) baked @ 350* with 1/2 tbl spoon pumpkin pie spice and 1/4 cup brown sugar for 25 min

Grain bill rice hulls and 40 oz of pumpkin mashed at 154* for 60 min
Sparge 170* 10 minutes

60 hop addition 1 oz Magnum

last 10 minutes 1 tsp Irish moss
20 oz pumpkin

flame out 1/2 tbl spoon of pumpkin pie spice.

Added 1 vanilla beans seeds soaked in vodka and 1/2 tsp of Capella graham cracker extract (ala pumking) to secondary

Drinking this beer right now.... it is delicious ...... just the right spice with the graham cracker finish..... good thing I did a double batch........ !!

Plugged this into BeerSmith. Wondering how you got 8.5 IBUs with 1 oz of Magnum for 60 minutes... I'm getting in the 40s. Magnum is a pretty high alpha hop.

Looks like I posted the ratio which was .812 ..... yep .... 45.1 Ibu's ..... but I am far from a hoppy fan.(Cant drink IPA's) and there is very little hop profile, just enough to to some what offset the sweetness...... beer taste awsome .....

White Labs WLP001 California .... made two batches dumping second batch on top of the first yeast cake..... came out great no off flavors from over pitching..... I may try WLP002 next time to keep a bit more sweetness....

This beer is long gone.... had a couple of my tell me what you really think tougher critics say it was one of their favorite pumpkin beers they have tried...... including the guy at the home brew store...... 10 gallons was not enough....

Back