Did I get a good Deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joetuo

Reaction score
I picked up a turkey deep fryer set off craigslist for $30.00 its a 30 qt aluminum pot with a 54,000BTU burner?

Also will I be able to drill the pot and weld a valve on??

That kind of setup sells new for around $30.

It will work but any pot that comes with a turkey cooker set is not worth installing a valve in - too flimsy. I would just pour out of it until you get a better pot. The burner should be powerful to roll 6 or 7 gallons @ WOT.

If the pot is the 'typical' type you get with turkey fryer kits (very thin aluminum) you most likely won't be able to put a valve on it. The 30qt pot that came with my turkey fryer is this way - the metal is just too thin to support it. If you could find someone to weld on a relatively large curved plate to reinforce it then it might work, but at that point (unless you've got a buddy that can do it free) it would probably cost you more than just buying a higher-quality pot, and/or making a keggle.

The burner is fine, it sounds about the same as mine, and I have no problem bringing 6-7 gallons to a boil in a very reasonable amount of time, and keeping a good rolling boil without having to keep the gas anywhere near to fully on.

actually 30 quarts is 7.5gallons...it's barely big enough for 5 gallon boils as you'll start with at least 6.5-7gallons of wort at the start of your 60 minute boil.

i used my turkey fryer pot as a hot liquid tank, and picked up a much better brew pot.

Back