Have to do it. Brew with mexican jumping beans!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquareHeadBrew

Reaction score
So this story has always been with me and the family when I was about 10 years old or so I ate several mexican jumping beans that were part of my sisters science project. Anyways.. i want to relive that and bring it back only to brew with them. I think I'll roast them for a min, get them moving a little and then throw them in the mash and mash them in. I don't know what flavors I may pick up (If any at all). I'll be using about 60 beans or more but prob not much more since they are expensive as hell. I'm still just approaching this, so a recipe will follow once I really sit down and contemplate how this will work. In the meantime I'm enjoying a nice racer 5. cheers!

I wish I could add something constructive for you. I'm really new to this homebrew thing, so I can offer no advice.
However, with all that said, you are awesome for doing this! Think of the explanation you can give to your friends when they try it.
Epic.

From my understanding, jumping beans "jump" because there's a type of larva that grows inside and eventually bursts out. I'm not sure I would want to be putting live larvae into my beer.

Plus, many of the novelty jumping beans I've seen seem to be coated with some sort of clear lacquer, presumably to seal the larva inside rather than allowing it to escape. In that case, you'd just have the lacquer in contact with your beer rather than the "bean" (which is not actually a bean, but some type of seed) itself.

As it stands and always will, is that they are pretty horrible tasting. And after having this thought for more than 15 min now I am rethinking my MJB addition in that I can add them into the secondary. Then the temperature may be just right and they may hatch - maybe not all of them - but If I can get just one I would be happy. They like moisture and cooler temps so this may work. And when the moth comes out (may have to wait a while for this) it may leave some flavors from inside the seed/bean. The moth would die instantly from the alcohol and upon noticing this act happen I would then remove all moths. Ok still thinking...

Thank you cjb. And I was writing during your response. I will call and make a special order to not have the lacquer coating If possible.

Yeah. I knew this was a terrible idea before I had even typed it out. I was just imagining reactions from people who hear that MJB's were added in. Kind of like the agave worm in tequila...But not

Back