Anyone try 7C's hops yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gduck

Reaction score
So I just received my hop order and decided to order some 7C's hops. Being a newer hop strain I haven't found much from people who have actually used this hop in brewing yet so I'm curious to see if anyone had used it in their beer yet. Better yet, has anyone used it and have a finished beer they can share some tasting notes on?

I'm going to do some sort of APA or IPA with some, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions before I just randomly toss amounts in to see what happens.

I did an APA a couple of weeks ago with them and a seperate batch with the Zythos hops. Unfortunately I most likely won't get to tap the kegs for another month or so.

Just an FYI, I racked to secondary today for both. They smell great. I'm already drooling thinking about those first glasses. They smell and look like some solid APAs.

I plan on brewing an APA with the 7C's tomorrow. Did you use them exclusively or pair them with some other hops? About how much did you use for your APA?

I used them exclusively. I wanted to really get a feel for the flavor/smell of just them since they were both new hops for me. I used EdWort's Haus Pale Ale recipe, then did 1.5 oz @ 60 min, 1 oz @ 15 min and .5 oz @ 5 min. I have an extra oz of each that I will probrobly dry hop with when I get closer to kegging.

So I just received my hop order and decided to order some 7C's hops. Being a newer hop strain I haven't found much from people who have actually used this hop in brewing yet so I'm curious to see if anyone had used it in their beer yet. Better yet, has anyone used it and have a finished beer they can share some tasting notes on?

I'm going to do some sort of APA or IPA with some, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions before I just randomly toss amounts in to see what happens.

I recently brewed a late hop pale ale with only 7's. It smelled fantastic but wont be ready for a few weeks. I will post back with the tasting notes when its on tap. I also did a american wheat with only zythos and I will post some notes on it too.

7's and Zythos are not new strains they are blends of different hops.

Well my 7C's pale ale w brewed over the weekend and has a nice fermentation going. Smelled awesome in the boil kettle and while filling the carboy so I'm excited to try this one when it's done. It's a farily low gravity Pale so it should be a good showcase for the hops so I can see what they are all about!

I've got an DIPA on tap currently brewed exclusively with 7c's and Falconer's Flight--and it absolutely rocks. The aroma profile from late/dry hop additions, and the flavor from FWH really stands out. Everyone who has tried it has been blown away. I had to buy another pound of each from Farmhouse Brewing because these are some of my favorite strains for IPAs right now, especially when my homegrown stash is depleted and Citra and Simcoe are tough to source.

Forgot about my original post but I thought that I'd follow up on it. I made a simple Pale ale with only the 7C hops as I was curious to find out what this mish mash of a hop was all about. I have to say I was fairly impressed. Gives a fairly smooth bitterness. Up front I get some green onion and a hint of garlic on the initial sip, but that fades to more citrus-like flavors like tangerine, but very soft, and not overwhelming on the pallete. In my experiment it was a lot more subtle hop thatn I was expecting it to be. I'm pretty happy with the results.

I brewed a Red Rye Ale exclusively with 7C's. It just went in to the keg on Sunday and is carbing up now. The sample I tasted going in to the keg was fantastic. The 7C's work very well with the Rye.

I brewed a Red Rye Ale exclusively with 7C's. It just went in to the keg on Sunday and is carbing up now. The sample I tasted going in to the keg was fantastic. The 7C's work very well with the Rye.

Awesome! I am doing a Ruthless Rye clone (waiting for ingredients from N'Brewer) and chose to use 7C's in place of the 'experimental" hops SN uses in their brew. Very much looking forward to the end result.

I did an IPA using only 7Cs. To me it definately taste like a blend of the C hops. I like its contribution to the later additions better than as a bittering hop. Tons of pineapple and citrus. Overall I prefer Falconer's if choosing between the two, but I've also used Falconers several times and 7Cs only once so far. So take it for what it's worth. ;)

I just dry hopped my APA with 7c hops and they smell so good. Ordered 8oz more to use in the near future. Can't wait to taste/smell the APA when it's done.

Drinking a 7C's IIPA right now. 8.3% ABV, about 80 IBU's. Floral and citrus are off the wall with this hop blend. 6 oz in the boil and 2 oz dry hop. I definitely recommend trying 7C's with your "standard" IPA recipe.

If you like citrus then 7 c's is the hop blend for you. I buy this by the pound and brew IPAs with this exclusively about every other brew. 1.5 oz. @60, 1.5 oz @10, 1 oz @ flameout -20min. steep. 2oz dry hop for 1-2 weeks. great grapefruit flavor. brew @ 5% to 8% abv and the hop flavor and aroma are wonderful. This is one beer that people always say " this is fantastic!, who makes this?"
I'm going to try solo hop brews with Falconers Flight and Zythos too.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm interested in these hops! Anyone have any more input on the flavor/aroma? I'm considering doing a white IPA or an american wheat with these.

-Kingboomer

I use 7Cs extensively in my house IPA recipe. I get a unique and very pleasant apricot note from it.

81.3% Crisp Pale Ale Malt
12.5% Weyermann Vienna Malt
4.2% Crisp C-45
2.1% Crisp C-15 (Caramalt)

Sometimes I also throw in a half pound of wheat.

11 AAU Magnum 60'
9.1 AAU Centennial 20'
0.5 oz 7C's 5'
1 oz 7C's 1'
1 oz Simcoe (Dry hop 4 days)

001 Cal Ale

Single infusion @ 152 degrees
Start ferment at 65 degrees. After four days, raise temperature 1 degree per day until at ambient.

Back