Rust in Water Source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemi

Reaction score
Hello:

I am just getting started in brewing and am a bit concerned with my city water source/internal pipes. My water tends to leave a redish discoloration when filtered through porous material and stains the shower curtain. I am assuming this would be rust and am wondering whether I should use this water for my brews.

The water really doesn't taste bad and my water almost seems sweet however I am wondering if there are any potential problems in using this for my brew and if I should consider other water sources (purchase distilled water, bottled spring water, use a PUR water filter or other type of filter that maybe able to clean the dirt/oxidation but leave the good minerals behind). I want to keep my costs down to a bare minimum however don't want to produce crap beer by doing so. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I'd start with a 1 or 2 micron house filter. That will get just about everything visible or crunchy. Most hardware stores carry the canister type with replaceable filters. Get some tubing and an adapter, so you can connect it to a hose bib.

Further down the slippery slope, you'll also be using it for keg-to-keg filtering.

david_42 said:
I'd start with a 1 or 2 micron house filter. That will get just about everything visible or crunchy. Most hardware stores carry the canister type with replaceable filters. Get some tubing and an adapter, so you can connect it to a hose bib.

Further down the slippery slope, you'll also be using it for keg-to-keg filtering.

Not a bad idea. I will have to look into something like that as it should keep in the good and reduce the bad. I think I will do some playing around with filters and do a pH test to make sure that part is ok.

If it is city water I am guessing they are buffering the water. Iron water tends to be acidic, and common treatments are soda ash, calcium carbonate or magnesium oxide. Not sure if this is the case or not for you, but the water would tend to have a high(er) salt content. It may work in your benefit for a stout, but you'd be better informed if you got a copy of your city water report. Post it here if you get one, and the folks can help you.

Back