Spelt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'm wanting to brew something like New Holland's Golden Cap Saison. The website and bottle both claim that Spelt makes up a portion of the fermentables. Where can I get it? If it's too hard to get, could I sub something else and get close with the taste?

I'm taking a tour there this weekend and want to have a few questions ready for the tour guide (hopefully enough that he will have to refer to the brewers he he he) :D

Weyermann makes a chocolate spelt malt... and they'll do a custom order apparently for lighter colors, but there's a minimum order.
For small amounts like us homebrewers, malting your own spelt is the viable option to get spelt malt. You can get unmalted spelt easily, and use it that way.
www.purityfoods.com sells spelt and it's in Michigan too.
Maybe you can ask to buy a small amount of malted spelt from the brewery while on the tour?

When they got to the warehouse with the grain in there, the tour guide didn't mention it. So I says,

"So, where do you get your spelt?"

Reply,

"That's classified information. Apparently it's pretty hard to find, so they don't really give out that information."

She already knew I was a homebrewer, and I wonder if she thought maybe I was a spy for the competition. I thought it was funny, because I happen to know that pretty all of the Michigan Micro Brewers are friendly with each other.

She did mention some state out west, but I don't know if I am interested enough to go through hoops to get it.

I got the business card for one of the guys who works there. He's a real smart dude, who I met at a homebrewing day last May. He gave a seminar on water. A REAL IN-DEPTH SEMINAR on water. She said he would probably give me the whole recipe if I asked. So we'll see what happens. It would be cool if they would toss a few pounds of Spelt my way. I'd repay in kind at the brewpub, of course! ;)

Back