Chlorophenols - Conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1mms

Reaction score
Hi all - first post!! first two brews in bottles - one ale, one lager,

my ale has been conditioning for 3 weeks - cracked her open but im pretty sure my straight tap water has created chlorophenols and my beer has a nasty aftertaste!!

What do i do?? after lots of searching i cant find anyone saying this has improved with age - will it condition out or shall i dump and start over - this time using campden

Chlorophenols won't condition out and they have very low taste thresholds.. But since it's hosed, why not try using some campden in the beer? Might work, might not.

On the other hand, maybe it's something else that will condition out.

So, give it a few more weeks.

I'm always hesitant to suggest new brewer's "self diagnose" an off flavor based on what they read...rather I suggest they find an experienced brewer, preferably someone who went through an "off flavors" bjcp type course.

Some new brewers can't distinguish a bad flavor from simply a green flavor...It's all great to read something in a book, but about 99% of the self diagnoses turn out to be wrong on here....and usually fade with time.

Often a seemingly off or bad batch can often magically improve with time. So read the stories in here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

ok thanks guys, im going to pick up some campden tomorrow and set off my third brew ( wherry ) So in a month i can compare. Lets hope im just a little too eager and it'll come good !

Don't add anything to the beer until you've given it a few more weeks.

If it ain't broke and you are noobishly self mis diagnosing you beer (which happens more than you probably realize) why don't you just sit on the beer??? Go read the don't dump thread, none of those beers people wrote about did they add anything to...

I'll say it again...more than likely the only thing that is wrong is that it is green!!!!!! Just wait it out...don't f-with it...don't add campden tablets...Just add patience.

Just add patience - love it

ive read loads - but cant find anyone saying about chlorophenols improving with age. But like you say that may not even be the problem!

Sure thats the plan then - i'll leave it another three full weeks.

In the meantime - get another batch on with campden this time.

Just add patience - love it

ive read loads - but cant find anyone saying about chlorophenols improving with age. But like you say that may not even be the problem!

Sure thats the plan then - i'll leave it another three full weeks.

In the meantime - get another batch on with campden this time.

This isn't making coolaid, it IS a patience game...And the reward is incredible.

I don't believe you have chlorophenols...I believe you THINK you have chlorophenols...there's a BIG difference in that.....Like I said, if you read around here long enough, more new brewers MISDIAGNOSE GREEN BEER as any number of things they read in books... AND USUALLY in a few weeks the issue is long gone....People have called their beer all number of things they have read in books, Having Diactly, infected, yadda yadda yadda.....and came back later and said they were wrong and the beer is fine....That's why we suggest to wait it out...and as to it being 3 weeks? It's not a magic number...it could be months...ir it could be 5 weeks...when you deal with living organisms, you deal with THEIR agendas...

You may truly have what you think you do...but unless you let the beer sit and see if it doesn't dissipate, you won't truly know...that why we suggest brewers not mess with a batch for several weeks...to see if it passes a window of greeness....the trouble is the window's timeframe is it's not set in stone?

Did you read the stories in the never dump your beer thread??? The value of patinece and the tendency to misdiagnoses is proven over and over again in there....

+1 naw +100:mug: Yeah thanks guys. I followed everyone's advice on waiting to drink that first beer and man I'm glad I did. Cracked my 1st home brew this weekend while bottling a3rd batch and making one one. Primary 2 weeks secondary 2 weeks and 2 weeks in the bottle, man that was hell waiting that long. But during that time I increased my bottle collection too were I can have 3-4 batches bottled.

Back