My Apfelwein smells like sulphur?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
My first batch of Apfelwein (Thanks EdWort!) is 2 days out from pitching. I went down to the fermenting room and openned the door to what smells like Yellowstone or a bad yeast drinking session. Does it usually give off a strong sulphur smell when fermenting. Temp is 63F.

Dude said:
Sulfur is a pleasant smell compared to what that montrachet puts out...YIKES.

I about gagged at that stuff.

I got a little bit of fermenting apple juice mixed with the rum in my airlock--combine that with the smells coming out of the rest of the carboy, and it stunk up my brew cellar so bad I couldn't go in for almost a week.:drunk:

Yup, just brewed my first batch of Apfelwein and its been about two days. I don't think I could rip a fart that smelled that nasty!

Pitched Montrachet last night in one gallone of cider with no sugar added. Forgot I used that yeast instead of my champagne. Thought the kittens crapped in the room. But then realized they are locked out of the room so then I freaked when I smelled butt coming from my cider. Immediately came to hear and am relieved to hear this.

Yup no worries, mine stopped crop dusting my room after about a week. Now it is slowly turning into a pleasant apple smell with a pinch of sour.

been 2 months and its still stinky. its fermented out but smells so bad. what to do? just hold my nose? is there an effective way to "air" it out?

that's probably hydrogen sulfide. if you don't get it out soon enough, it will turn into dihydrogen sulfide, that's a bigger problem that is harder to fix.

step one. pull off a little bit (couple ounces), take the most shiny penny you can find and plunk it in. give it a few minutes, then smell it.
one of two things will happen.
it won't smell bad anymore
it will smell the exact same.
report back with what happens and we'll pick it up there.

after 10 mins smell has lessened but not completely gone, but i pulled a couple oz off last night and just let them sit in the glass. this morning no off odors.

???

after 10 mins smell has lessened but not completely gone, but i pulled a couple oz off last night and just let them sit in the glass. this morning no off odors.

???

ok, then it's not dihydrogen yet. that's good.
i would just gently de-gas it. pull up a stool and stir that puppy for 10 minutes. then probably hit it with campden just to cover your butt.

now, what i have actually done when it was stubborn, was shake and stir and splash the living hell out of it. then i hit it with campden. no oxidation and no smell. but that was an extreme case where the smell wasn't going away and i would rather dump it then treat it with copper, so i considered it a loss anyway. turned out terrific.
most will disagree with this, just telling you what happened to work for me on a really stubborn batch.
glad to see you're in st charles. i'm down here in high ridge. got 30 gals of fresh juice from thierbach orchards in marthasville this year. going great so far.

will do. its in a carboy now so ill probably siphon to a bucket and stir the crap out of it and rack back to carboy.

the bit that sat over night tastes awesome with a great appley aroma.

do yo think a full dose of campden for the volume or a lighter dose. its under 1.000 now.

thanks again

btw -
i have a copper stirring wand, would that be a benefit?

ok, moved to buckets. stirred like mad. (wow does it stink in here). added crushed campden tabs.
i decided to leave in buckets and cover with cheesecloth (rubber banded to bucket). to see if the stirring combined with a larger area of liquid and a breathable cover would effectively give me the same results as the sample that just sat open overnight.

time for a beer...........

btw -
the sample i added the penny to. after an hour has zero sulphur smell. and it tasted awesome!
if you could hip me on the copper treatment you were talking about i would appreciate it.

the copper treatment is in one of my books. did a quick search and the internet and didn't find it, so i will look in the book later.
stirring with a copper spoon should help considerably.

i would be a little worried about leaving it open overnight, even with the cheesecloth. maybe just an hour or so?
it's finished, so it's much more resiliant than something that is fermenting or has yet to begin fermenting, it still makes me a little leery though.
good luck.

since the sample that had the penny in it turned out great, im racking this back into the carboy and leaving my copper stirring wand in it til tomorrow.

im damnwell expecting it to be resolved. if not, ill probably pitch this batch. or just let it rest until it thinks its tired of stinking and wants to be drank.

lol, anyway

Slainte'

All of my ciders make my laundry room smell like sulfur. It's stinky, but fades in a couple weeks. Even 6 weeks after fermentation they are semi stinky while still in the fermenter. However there is little or no stink when poured into a pint. Time heals all.

I'm using Nottingham and I'm getting an odor but nothing like what everyone else is describing. It was just enough to smell when near the air lock and a faint smell in my basement.

Latest posts

Back