Importance of Belgian style bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rundorig76

Reaction score
I am ready to bottle my first belgian strong ale and I have another fermenting away. Do I have to use belgian style bottles with corks and a cage for carbonation purposes or is that just tradition? Will normal beer bottles or the swing tops work okay without the possiblity of bottle bombs? The first batch I used 1388 wyeast and it says online it can produce carbonation for an extened period of time. I just wanna be safe as I am a noob at belgians still

Its partly tradition and partly because of the high carb level of most belgians. The heavy bottles can hold the cork and beer pressure better. I have found swing tops unreliable, so I probably wouldn't use those for a beer like this.

Its also pretty cool to pop a cork of your own beer.

Typically belgian beers have a lot more carbonation than most other styles. If you're going to bottle with "normal" amounts of priming sugar then you're definitely fine with normal bottles. If you are planning on bottling to the high belgian carb levels then you might consider the bottle and cap you're using.

As long as you've hit final gravity then the only other fermentables left in the beer at bottling time will be your priming sugar which will be the primary determining factor in your bottle decision.

Thanks for the info ill pick up some belgian bottles, I don't want any bombs after all the time spent fermenting, that would be a crime against beerkind everywhere!

Latest posts

Back