You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You took your 2-month old daughter to the LHBS today to pick up ingredients for Apfelwein and a quick hefeweizen, and then explained the brewing process to her on the way home...I'm a proud

Lol, my 4 year old son enjoys the sucker jar at my LHBS. I'm guessing the fact that they have one means that I'm not alone. We had a discussion today about how the yeast 'eats' the wort. He thought it was pretty funny.

You know you're a homebrewer when your son educates his preschool on brewing beer.

I'm sitting in the middle of grad school orientation and just spent the entirety of the last lecture re-designing my pumpkin ale using the Brew Pal app on my phone. And obviously I'm spending this lecture on the HB Talk app. Is this an addiction or just boredom?

RedGuitar said:
I'm sitting in the middle of grad school orientation and just spent the entirety of the last lecture re-designing my pumpkin ale using the Brew Pal app on my phone. And obviously I'm spending this lecture on the HB Talk app. Is this an addiction or just boredom?

Mental illness.

When a friend calls you and tells you he has a work thing and they want him to make beer for it. Then ask if you have room for 30g right now? My response no we have 25g fermenting 20g in secondary and 15g long term sec. waiting to bottle, I need a week then we can do it.

Also when you do so may batches in demijohn's that you put in a gantry crain with a 2,000lb atv winch on it to left stuff cause, ten gallons gets freaking heavy.

When you have two full size whiskey barrels and a three gallon in your barrel program, aren't part of a club and have the copasity to Brew enough to fill one.

:tank: :ban: :mug: :drunk:

Primary
10g Belgian Trippel w/ Brett and Lacto
10g Blackberry Porter
10g Union Jack Clone
10g Cream Ale
10g October Fest
10g Flanders Red
Secondary
10g Belgian Trippel Amarillo hopped
10g Flanders Red
3g Vanilla Russian Imperial Stout

Keg
1 Peach Honey Cream Ale
2 Rassberry Honey Cream Ale
3 Bourbon Barrel aged BIIPA
4 Light Brown Ale
5 empty
6 empty
7 empty
8 empty

When you go to your local brewery and the head brewer comes over and ask whats on tap and what's fermenting at your house....
Been taking my beers to the local brewery for acouple of years now....
Igotsand

Also when you do so may batches in demijohn's that you put in a gantry crain with a 2,000lb atv winch on it to left stuff cause, ten gallons gets freaking heavy.

4 15g demijohns fit on a pallet. forks attached to a kobotas 3-point make moving stuff easy.
I love cidering time:D

mrwaffles said:
When your 3 yr old plays "making beer" in the bathtub during every bath time

Wow, it's a phenomenon! If they like it enough to pretend, they'll love brewing the real thing.

Wow, it's a phenomenon! If they like it enough to pretend, they'll love brewing the real thing.

Brings a tear to my eye. So proud :mug:

tn.jpg

when you have a good beer out and spend the rest of the night trying to figure out the grain bill in your head....or searching for a clone recipe online.

You don't mind helping SWMBO put up new curtains because it means you get to use the old ones to make a new bag for BIAB

Your 3yr old son reminds you to take the yeast out of the fridge and refresh the StarSan spray bottle the morning of a brew day.

You are mapping your route to a friend's new house for a football party and you don't set a beer store as a waypoint. Growers are in sani and will be filled before departure!

Roll Tide Roll!

When you have 3 fermenters in the livingroom, fermenting 30 liters each
When one of the fermenters is next to the portable keg/tap
When everyone refers to your computerroom as beerroom
When your 5 year old takes a 0.0 % beer in the supermarket and yells to you "Look daddy, this one doesn't have alcohol"
When the same 5 year old puts a La Chouffe in your shoppingcart mumbling "gnome beer"
When your kids complain they have to take a shower instead of going in bath because daddy's keggles are getting a clean bath
When you go on a summer holiday for 2 weeks and you take 30 liters homebrew with you
When you go on summer holiday and see a nice hotwater pan on sale and take it with you
When you are writing this post and you'r daughter crawls on you asking 'what ya doin?' and you reply 'nah, reading about beer' and you get the reaction 'you allways with your beer!'

Teach Them While They Are Young
215192205_426566914060384.jpg

DSCF2863_resize.JPG

... When your wife is in delivery for your twin girls and you're on your phone placing an order for a great deal on yeast! Don't tell her!

barrooze said:
... When your wife is in delivery for your twin girls and you're on your phone placing an order for a great deal on yeast! Don't tell her!

Haha SWMBO would kill you if she knew. :)

Here's a new one-when your girl is on top of you humping away,& you're shifting in unison to a BRM F1 in the movie grand prix after drinkin your way into some. Top that!

That's why I'm reading what y'all are doin while drinkin SNPA & vodka. gimme friday...friday night. Monday mornin...feel so bad...tuesday mornin makes me feel so sad. Wed goes so slow,& thursaday,idk...just gimme friday...friday night.

SWMBO and I are looking to buy a house, and I won't even consider a house that doesn't have a garage and a "brew room".

When it's 10 degrees outside and your boiling wort in your garage wearing a ski suit, gloves and a parka as people drive by and just shake their heads.
:rolleyes:

When your brewing out front, and your neighbor across the street (deputy Sheriff) yells "if thats illegal, atleast go in the backyard"

When you look at the hook from an old shower cleaning apparatus, and say 'huh, that would make a great hop bag holder for the keggle', and dismiss the thought...

and six months later, after scrubbing said hook to the hilt, throw the shower cleaning device out - in order to use the hook for said purpose... :D

When it's hot all week and see that tonight the temperature is going down into the 50's and can't help but think of the word refrigeration. So I wheel my conical and 2 primaries that are running in mid 70's from the krausen spike outside at 10pm and set my alarm for 6am to bring back inside. What do you know? It's fermenting at 66 now! Less fusels/esters being produced now :)

When, at the end of a long afternoon brew session wherein nothing has gone right, you stand beside that white bucket with the blue lid and think, "I have made beer!"

Now feast, you yeast!

You go to the local "arts, beats & eats" festival, discover it is sponsored by AB-INBEV, and wander aimlessly for 45 minutes looking for craft beer choices that are not ShockTop. (Thankfully I found Rochester Mills and some New Belgum)

Back