Dip Tube Refuses to Budge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
The air in dip tube on my ball lock corney keg refuses to budge. I bought it used a couple weeks ago but am only now getting around to cleaning it.

Any suggestions? The liquid tube came out without incident but I am killing myself to get this gas tube out with a wrench.

If you're using a socket wrench, use one with a longer handle. I couldn't budge my first corny keg (used) with the standard handle length, or with a box wrench. I put a 12" long pipe onto the ratchet handle and simply gave the pipe end a couple of taps with my hand and it broke free. I would get some iron pipe to do this, so that it stands up to anything you could throw at it. Far cheaper than getting a ratchet with a long handle. Or, if you have a friend with a good tool set, see if he has a breaker bar you can borrow (with the socket size to match your keg). That will probably do it in a second or two.

maybe try lightly tapping the bottom upwards from inside the keg to see if you can get it to pop up you could also try submerging the keg upside down in hot water to see if it loosens it up a bit

Are you talking about the tupe itself or the ball lock fitting? If the tube itself, I would just use something like a wood cooking tool to press it up from the inside. You don't want to force that, or hit it too hard. If it's the lock itself, then see my earlier post.

I was talking about the hex shaped nut on top of the keg, the piece that is attached to the exterior of the poppet.

Moot point anyway, after much struggle I called American Brewmaster (where I got the keg) and they offered to trade it in for another one. Those folks really are the best brew shop I have seen in North Carolina.

Back