michigan predators spring brew day 5-01-2010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We have a brew day!!!!!!..
A brewer I know from the Prime Time club has told me that she would like to host a brew day for us on May 1st at her home in Rockford MI.

As you know, bring your gear and a dish to pass, oh and beer to drink.
So mark it down on the calendar and get ready for some fun.

I have all of her contact info and will only give it to you in a PM. If you want to attend PM me and I'll give it to you.
:tank:

List of planned attendees.......

fsr402
Mike
Homercidal
xiang
YooperBrew ?
eriktlupus
ledrman
Zombie13
mcstout

Leo and Zelda can't make it. :(
Leo's son is graduating that day. But I would like to state it NOW that we need to have one brew day a month all summer... There is more then enough of us to host one time and fill the months.

I had a very good time the last time (even though I was a bit sick), and I might even pass on brewing so I can watch others and see what they do. I really missed out on that part last time. I am eager to see other systems in action and be able to help out more and be more social.

Now to find a Designated Driver!

Now i have to figure out what to brew. Thinking 10gal of an IPA yet to be decided or maybe a out of style hoppy APA. I might drag a buddy of mine out for this event. Also, you should post this in the Michigan Mashers forum as well.

finally troy! i keed of course but schedule is open for 1may2010. i'll relay it to a couple buds that were with me at the beerfest.

I REALLY want to at least come and watch, especially since I can practically roll over and land in Rockford (being in Sparta and all). It's on my calendar.

Z.

Argh... I wanted to bring my IIPA, which was tasting real good going into the secondary for dry hop. But I was stupid and went right from dry hopping to the bottling bucket and got a LOT of "Gunk" in the bottles. I probably should have siphoned into another vessel and cold crashed before bottling.

Live and learn. Might have some Stout ready by then. My Centennial Blonde wasn't terribly great this time either. A little cloudy. The taste is "ok", but I think there is something going on in there that I just can't place. Maybe I'll bring some and see if anyone can pinpoint it for me. I've certainly brewed that recipe better before.

I think it's hop gunk. Some of it look like thick fluffy "worms" laying on the bottom of the bottle. Some of it looks like bits of hops.

Except for the taste right before bottling, I would be disappointed in this batch. Why? Because I was striving for a 1/2 batch to test a smaller MLT. And this way I could experiment more often without having a ton of beer going to waste. But I needed two mashes in the small MLT to get the gravity up, and by the time I got done I only had about 2 gallons, maybe less.

But at least I have learned some more and next time I will do a full batch and if it turns up as good, I will remember to let the thing settle out after dry-hopping.

I will just let this batch sit for a few weeks and then I'll drink them. There is nothing in there that can hurt me, right? Just have to pour VERY carefully.

I think it's hop gunk. Some of it look like thick fluffy "worms" laying on the bottom of the bottle. Some of it looks like bits of hops.

Except for the taste right before bottling, I would be disappointed in this batch. Why? Because I was striving for a 1/2 batch to test a smaller MLT. And this way I could experiment more often without having a ton of beer going to waste. But I needed two mashes in the small MLT to get the gravity up, and by the time I got done I only had about 2 gallons, maybe less.

But at least I have learned some more and next time I will do a full batch and if it turns up as good, I will remember to let the thing settle out after dry-hopping.

I will just let this batch sit for a few weeks and then I'll drink them. There is nothing in there that can hurt me, right? Just have to pour VERY carefully.

Noe nothing that can hurt you.

Next time wrap a paint strainer bag over the end of your racking cane and that will filter out the hops.

hey this isn't a beer help thread folks!

speaking of which i did narrow that bandaid down to the hoses. no trouble since i switched to silicone.

You are right, Erik. I get carried away sometimes.

So, what's everyone bringing for food to this thing? You know that they Second most important consideration!

You are right, Erik. I get carried away sometimes.

So, what's everyone bringing for food to this thing? You know that they Second most important consideration!

I'm bringing a smoker and will be smoking up some meat. May do some ribs, maybe a fatty (bacon wrapped goodness) perhaps some ABT's.. Not 100% sure yet other then it will be smoked. :D

Yeah, the Kid is done at U of M and graduates that day-Obama to speak, it will be a real CF in Ann Arbor. :/

Yeah, the Kid is done at U of M and graduates that day-Obama to speak, it will be a real CF in Ann Arbor. :/

Like I told Zelda last night, if he's going to med school he'll be having another one you can go to. So you should skip this one and go to the brew day. :D

Like I told Zelda last night, if he's going to med school he'll be having another one you can go to. So you should skip this one and go to the brew day. :D

Yeah but they are throwing a kegger afterwards so you know, free beer, and the Kid buys.:D

A little over a week away. Still don't know what I'm brewing. Need to look thru my hops and come up with something. Mike's wife need's their truck that day so I'm not sure how I'll get every thing there. May need to borrow one of my dad's trucks which means I'll have to invite him along. If I do that I had better bring more beer, he drinks a lot. :drunk:

For food I think I want to bring my Big Easy smoker/roaster/grill and cook up a fatty or two and some ABT's May even bring some chicken wings to roast up.
But then again, I do have a turkey in the freezer I could smoke/roast.

i'm thinking i need something easy drinking like bm centennial blonde for a buddies b-day party at the end of may.

wondering what to bring for a dish still.

Guess camping is out of the question. We're heading down after the brewing to celebrate the adoption of my wife's parents' foster child. Yes, they are too old to adopt but their doing it anyway! She's a good kid.

Anyway, is someone going to send directions? Or are we just supposed to hang our head out our car windows sniffing the air for the scent of boiling wort and hops? ;)

Guess camping is out of the question. We're heading down after the brewing to celebrate the adoption of my wife's parents' foster child. Yes, they are too old to adopt but their doing it anyway! She's a good kid.

Anyway, is someone going to send directions? Or are we just supposed to hang our head out our car windows sniffing the air for the scent of boiling wort and hops? ;)

Did you miss the part in the OP about pm'ing me for the address?:D
I'll send it to you now.

I STILL don't know what I'm going to brew or how I'm going to do it. On the fence really. Do I bring all my stuff and do AG or do an extract batch. Have not done one of those in over 2 years. May end up picking it all up on the way there. lol

Did you miss the part in the OP about pm'ing me for the address?:D
I'll send it to you now.

I STILL don't know what I'm going to brew or how I'm going to do it. On the fence really. Do I bring all my stuff and do AG or do an extract batch. Have not done one of those in over 2 years. May end up picking it all up on the way there. lol

Yeah, yeah... I did see where another member mentioned PMing you for directions in another thread and so I looked and realized I already got them from you. So, my bad.

I'm geeked. I already got the stuff to make bacon-wrapped BBQ Shrimp again. I'm not bringing my stuff, but I'll help anyone with their brewing. I want to see some other setups, and see if I can improve my process. I'm thinking about going RIMS, but would like to see some in action.

Trying to convince the wife to come too. She is kind of shy.

Wow, I just looked at the map and it's just like 5 miles from my good friend's house! I wonder if he might like to hang out and watch some brewing.

I sent you a PM with the address. Let me know if you need anything else.

Talking with the host we are thinking of getting this party started at around 10 am.
I hope to be there between 9:30 and 10.

I sent you a PM with the address. Let me know if you need anything else.

Talking with the host we are thinking of getting this party started at around 10 am.
I hope to be there between 9:30 and 10.

ditto on the 930-10am time slot. course that means i need to leave here at like 7am:mad: in order to stop for breakfast on the way. any suggestions for a stop troy? coming up m37 then skirting the east side on GR.

ditto on the 930-10am time slot. course that means i need to leave here at like 7am:mad: in order to stop for breakfast on the way. any suggestions for a stop troy? coming up m37 then skirting the east side on GR.

I know of a few great places in east GR. My fav is Gaia Cafe, then there is marie catrib's, or if you want a huge breakfast there is wolfgang. I'm sure there are a few places right on M37 but I don't get out that way much so I can't help you there.

we'll be rolling out in about 30hrs. decided on some pulled pork for the dish and still haven't concreted a beer to brew. be bringing up my belgian golden, a beach blonde and a hefe. wanted to bring the middling bastard but she aint gonna be carbed at all by then, going into keg now.

edit:anyone have a better conversion for refractometer to sg during fermentation than beersmith? BS is telling me that my middling bastard finished at .944 from 1.066 with a 5.8 brix reading at transfer. that equates to like 16%abv instead of the planned 8-9%

eff it i found my damn hydrometer and it read 1.006. still a tad low but damn is it gonna be good when its carbed.

now to finish the kitchen so i can get my brewkart back for saturday. unless someone has a waist high table i can use?

Back