Quinoa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanLouis

Reaction score
I've used it before but I don't know how well I did.
Any suggestions for type, mash schedule, flavors to look for, how to combine it with millet?

I would also be interested. Am actively experimenting with millet and buckwheat. I really like the nutty taste of cooked quinoa so wonder how it would be as a malt flavor in beer.

White quinoa tastes super grassy to me. It gives good extraction with no need for any special mash treatments. It is very high in protein. Expect stuck sparges similar to buckwheat.

Word of warning. Some people have reactions to quinoa (can trigger gluten allergies). It is a massive inflammatory. I get crazy intestinal cramps after eating a good bit of quinoa.

Its easy to work with but, it doesn't seem like anything special to me. Hope that helps.

I've never had adverse reactions to quinoa. Its totally gfree and super healthy and loaded with protein. Also its super easy to sprout. Anyone done a straight quinoa brew?

Yup. I have. It comes out very light on the malt. Toasts up real nice though. Wouldn't recommend it by itself. I usually do a blend of 70% millet, 25% quinoa, and 5% buckwheat. Not really sure why I even use buckwheat but, I do.

Back