Used flavored kombucha in first fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KathieB

Reaction score
My very first batch of kombucha is about done with its first fermentation. The person who gave me my SCOBYs didn't have enough kombucha to give me for my first batch. I had to buy a bottle of kombucha and got strawberry because they didn't have any plain. Now I'm scared I've ruined it. I heard that strawberry rots easily if using it in the second fermentation. How will I know if it's bad?

You'll know it will be bad because it will taste bad, but it's almost impossible to get anything in there that will hurt you because it's such an acidic environment. The only thing I would be worried about is that the fermentation created a funky flavor out of the added strawberry, but as long as it tastes OK and you like it, you should be OK. You'll never have a situation where something tastes awesome but it is poison (unless its done intentionally... :) )

Thank you! I really don't want to fail at my first batch. I'm planning on using fruit purees to flavor it during its second fermentation (which is where I heard about the strawberry rotting easily). Maybe the flavorings will help if it tastes a little funky.

Back