Making a starter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonJ

Reaction score
I have a 1.75 l whiskey bottle I cleaned out. I was going to start making starters in it. Any suggestions on how to make one? I see everyone talking about it but have never attempted it. My batches have come out pretty good but I want to kick up my process to produce better homebrew. Thanks!

I use a quart of water and a half cup of dried malt extract. I boil it for about 10 minutes to sanitize, cool, and then pitch the yeast into it.

You'll need to stir it frequently to keep the yeast in suspension as much as possible, but after 24-48 hours, you should be good.

I just made one for my RIS. Its very easy, I just looked up a lot online, and watch some video's. For higher gravity you need bigger starters. Try every few hours to swirl it around as hbb mentioned above. I'm going to do this with every beer for now on.

A basic 1.040 starter is essentially a 10-1 ratio of DME to water.

If you have a 175ml vessel you can do 150grams of DME to 1500ml or water. Weigh out the DME and put it in the vessel and then fill to the 1500ml mark, shake to dissolve, boil for 10 minutes, cool to 70 and pitch yeast, shake vigorously and then periodically shake when you can or use a stir plate. Note, if vessel has a concave bottom a stir plate may not work with the magnet/stir bar.

I like to weigh the DME instead of measuring as since DME can pack down by weight is more accurate.

Back