Back sweeten with splenda....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schupaul

Reaction score
I made 2 batches of apfelwein that are right at 8% ABV per Edwort's recipe. However, my wife doesn't like it so dry and I would like to back sweeten with splenda. How much should I add and how should I prepare it? She likes a sweetness similar to Hornsby's if that is a help. I see the recommended rate is 1/3c per/gal. Is that going to get me what I am looking for, or is it to much? Should it be boiled with water then added or just toss it into the keg and mix.

Don't.

Don't

Don't

Please Don't...

Backsweeten only her glass during the pour. You can use real sugar in that case. I promise you that you'll regret backsweetening your whole batch because you start adjusting to it. Since it's getting kegged, you can also throw a frozen concentrate apple juice in there because the yeast will be dormant at that temp. It would certainly beat using splenda. People adjust to dryness if they have a few glasses over time. If you do it per pour, you'll find you can get away with less and less and before you know it, the drinker will not notice you didn't sweeten it.

I second Bobby's approach... Don't adjust the whole keg. The tartness really does grow on you. I swear!

Does splenda ferment at all? If you wanted a batch of apfelwien a little sweeter, would adding splena before fermentation work?

Edit: Not that would ever do this. Was just a question out of curiosity. :)

Does splenda ferment at all? If you wanted a batch of apfelwien a little sweeter, would adding splena before fermentation work?

Edit: Not that would ever do this. Was just a question out of curiosity. :)

The point of using splenda is it doesn't ferment. So you can add splenda then still bottle carb normally and not get bombs, but rather get a sweet sparkling wine.

But as for adding it to the whole batch, don't. Rather add it per glass, find out what you like, and then make it that way next time.

Back