Cold and Hot break?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bytor1100

Reaction score
I somewhat understand what they are but not completely. Could anyone give a detailed explanation (or link) about what they are. I've read many things about them, but still don't understand completely what they are or what they look like. :drunk:

So, on that topic.. my last batch I didn't really see a hotbreak at all. As i added my dry malt, it did foam a good bit. So I'd add a little dry malt, stir like mad, add a lil more, etc. Once it was all added, and then added some syrup extract there was no foam at all for the rest of the boil. Any thoughts? Do some brews not have a hot break?

Extract brewing shouldn't see much of a hot break.
That's already occurred within the wort manufacturing process.

Ahh!

Good to know then. I've plans to make the jump to all-grain. When I bought all my brewing supplies from a friend, he had like 3 jars of extract too. Gonna use all those up before messing with all grain too much.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7-2.html

Hot break.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7-4.html

Cold break.

From the glossary:

Hot Break - Proteins that coagulate and fall out of solution during the wort boil.

Cold Break - Proteins that coagulate and fall out of solution when the wort is rapidly cooled prior to pitching the yeast.

Read, learn, love. HTB.com is probably your best reference to your questions.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

What's the difference between a wheat beer wort's hot break and a barley malt hot break? Shouldn't it be the same?

Extract brewing shouldn't see much of a hot break.
That's already occurred within the wort manufacturing process.

I always see significant hot break when I brew with extract (which is all the time). I've heard several people say that extract has already gone through a boil during manufacture and doesn't need to be boiled long, yet my experience directly contradicts this. My understanding of the malt extract production process is that the wort is not boiled in the common sense, but rather at a low temperature under a vacuum, so it makes sense to me that it would still need to undergo a "traditional" boil in the kettle.

So, what am I missing?

Ahh!
Good to know then. I've plans to make the jump to all-grain. When I bought all my brewing supplies from a friend, he had like 3 jars of extract too. Gonna use all those up before messing with all grain too much.

I would start AG, and leave the 3 jars of extract to adjust your SG while you get your process and efficiency figured out.

Back