Regulator hissing from small hole?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
After a ton of drama getting my all-used kegging setup, I finally got my tank filled and attached this micromatic regular. I turn the bottle on, set the secondary to 10psi and then closed off the output ball valve and gas just continuously hisses out of this little 1/8" hole in the front of the regulator. I've looked at some pics and all regs have this hole, but what's going on exactly?

Sounds like the diaphragm (sp?) may be working improperly. I had a similar problem. I disconnected everything and took the regulator apart, reseated things, and then re-assembled. Now it works like a champ. Certainly worth a shot before buying a new one.

Ok, I opened the front housing. Now, I see the diaphragm and it has a small hole in the center of it, maybe about 1/16"and it looks like that little needle valve made the hole. Is there supposed to be any holes in the diaphragm or what? I bought it on ebay so anything is possible.

I had a similar problem when adjusting my regulator. The diaphragm got stuck and I was getting air hissing through a small hole. I didn't take it all apart, but after adjusting it back and forth a few times it eventually unstuck itself and has worked fine since then.

I took this damn thing apart and reassembled like 15 times and nothing stops it. I tried putting a little keg lube on the diaphragm where it seals to the housing. Nothing. There doesn't appear to be any pinholes in it, exept for the one in the center which I've come to find is supposed to be there.

Did you ever figure out the problem Bobby as I am having the same issue? I have a double body cornelius regulator and it keeps leaking out of the small hole in the front of the second body of the regulator. I've taken it apart and lubed it up and can't figure out the problem.

fwiw, all regulators have a relief hole on the knob side of the body, so that the pressure on the "outside" face of the diaphragm always reflects the atmosphere.

If there is gas flow through the hole, the diaphragm is not sealing. Either there's a hole or crack that's opening under pressure, or the inside edge of the diaphragm is not sealed to the body, or there's something wrong with the needle valve.

Rebuild kits are usually cheap enough to warrant a try...

Cheees!

I finally figured it out. It was the seat valve that is held by a spring (similar to a poppet valve) on the back side of the regulator. I took it out, put it back in, and it now works. Thanks.

Not uncommon for debris to get pinched between the seat/needle valve and the hole for it in the diaphragm.
There's a procedure that will typically clear that out:
- close the cylinder valve
- open the regulator knob wide open (highest pressure)
- open the shut-off valve if so equipped
- remove any low-pressure hoses
- point the low-pressure output of the regulator in a safe direction, get a good grip on the assembly, then open and close the cylinder valve in a few short blasts.
- put everything back together

Cheers!

Back