Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Older couple in the liquor store before a snowstorm: Her: "Do we have enough beer?" Him: "I think so." Her: "Isn't your brother coming to town?" Him: "Yeah." Her: "Well, we only have two cases of Bud Light." Him: "We better get some more."

Maybe it was funny to me because the volume of beer they thought they needed for a small winter storm. Meanwhile I had my 6 pack and a bomber.

Plus a keg. :D

Well,they think we're being smarta$$es. I don't see it that way,being an English major. Comm 1 & 2 in college were more interesting. Rather amusingly similar to the bar explanation bit. All through school,they taught us formal English,right? Well,by the time I got to college,in communications 2 they taught us to right the way we speak. Just learn to speak correctly.
Oh boy,did I have some fun with that one...:D:mug:
:off: Hahaha! That reminds me of an English teacher I had who would always correct the grammar in my dialog. That always drove me nuts.

Yeah, it's definitely drier than a riesling, which is a dessert wine, but so are all reds. My brother will be the first to tell you "Drink what you like, whether it costs $100 a bottle or comes in a box... that's why you drink it, to enjoy it." ...which is why I drink beer... so back to beer!

My former life wine snob has to come out and point out that riesling is not automatically a desert wine. Certainly, riesling is a common varietal in dessert wines, and even many rieslings which are not dessert wines are on the sweet side. While many rieslings are pretty sweet, overall they actually cover a pretty wide range on the dry/sweet spectrum.

BrewKnurd said:
My former life wine snob has to come out and point out that riesling is not automatically a desert wine. Certainly, riesling is a common varietal in dessert wines, and even many rieslings which are not dessert wines are on the sweet side. While many rieslings are pretty sweet, overall they actually cover a pretty wide range on the dry/sweet spectrum.

"Well actually..." ( in a very snobbish British accent )

Yeah, it's definitely drier than a riesling, which is a dessert wine, but so are all reds. My brother will be the first to tell you "Drink what you like, whether it costs $100 a bottle or comes in a box... that's why you drink it, to enjoy it." ...which is why I drink beer... so back to beer!

In the NY wine region there's rieslings that are dry as a bone. 0% residual sugar. One of my favorites. More than 1% and I find it gross.

And there's plenty of sweet reds too.

Beer anyone? :off:
The off topic face looks mad. I, not mad just enjoy funny things people say about beer lol

I like French champagne from epernay (sp?) with my caviar. Been too long since I had that last at this French reasturant on the far side of the lagoons in vermilion. Every time we drive over the lagoons to get there,the Giligan's island theme runs through my head.:D

Of all the "southern" places I've visited and tried the local Guinness Foreign Export, St. Lucia has the strongest (7.3% ABV)...

The Guinness Foreign Export in Jamaica is brewed by the same brewery that makes Red Stripe...

Guinness is the bombdiggedy$h!T...

I know this isn't really "funny," but at least it's about beer... :mug:

biochemedic said:
Of all the "southern" places I've visited and tried the local Guinness Foreign Export, St. Lucia has the strongest (7.3% ABV)...

The Guinness Foreign Export in Jamaica is brewed by the same brewery that makes Red Stripe...

Guinness is the bombdiggedy$h!T...

I know this isn't really "funny," but at least it's about beer... :mug:

How dare you try to talk about beer during an active derailment!
;)

Swarley88 said:
And holding the glass at its base and only the base ;)

Yes, while also swirling your glass and sticking your nose in as far as possible before every single drink and sloshing it around in your mouth for about 10 seconds before swallowing.

Yes, while also swirling your glass and sticking your nose in as far as possible before every single drink and sloshing it around in your mouth for about 10 seconds before swallowing.

I dont even swallow it after the 10 seconds, you don't want to ruin your tastes with a buzz.

Heard this from an owner of a brewery that has a hop cone very predominantly featured in their logo. Apparently his staff are somewhat regularly asked if it's an artichoke.

This one's awesome. I'm still laughing.

Swarley88 said:
I dont even swallow it after the 10 seconds, you don't want to ruin your tastes with a buzz.
Ha! Do you have a spit bucket with your name engraved on it?

Mongrel said:
Heard this from an owner of a brewery that has a hop cone very predominantly featured in their logo. Apparently his staff are somewhat regularly asked if it's an artichoke.

Krovitz said:
This one's awesome. I'm still laughing.

That one made me laugh too.

There was nothing in the article about Maori translating to the F bomb. A reply wondered what F off in gaelic was. but that's about it. Cool site/article though. Thanks for that. The name Maori referrs to the native peoples that originally settled New Zealand. Here's one of their warriors on my label;
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/moariipa_zps1777a4d6.jpg.html] [/URL]
Found a pic of him on the National Geographic site where people are encouraged to upload travel photos. And yeah,it's misspelled in this initial rendering. Gotta redo it.

I just found a video where the Maori people signed a treaty with the NZ government to conceed that they were ripped off. sounds all to familiar to me,being the granson of an Apache chief.

I learned from this video that it's pronounced "Mowree".

Last edited by a moderator:
At my age,I feel even more for that part of my family. How many of them were butchered for their land? Anything trys to live,evil white men will rub then out. Decent whites aren't like that,but have no idea what it's like to be a half breed to your own people. It ain't easy,it just is. So I understand what the Maori are going through. Makes me wonder. Kinda cool how they say the Maori is greeting the gov guy. Looks like he's ready to kick his a$$ to me...

don't get too serious on me, bruva. past is something we can never change. don't mourn the past, smile toward the future.

today at Okoboji Brewing while picking up a few supplies, 4 people were wanting a single growler filled. they all were tasting what they had on tap. when they got to the Apricot Ale, one of them said, "It tastes really good! Like apricot, but not in a bad way!" it made me chuckle a little.

There was nothing in the article about Maori translating to the F bomb. A reply wondered what F off in gaelic was. but that's about it. Cool site/article though. Thanks for that. The name Maori referrs to the native peoples that originally settled New Zealand. Here's one of their warriors on my label;
Found a pic of him on the National Geographic site where people are encouraged to upload travel photos. And yeah,it's misspelled in this initial rendering. Gotta redo it.

Yeah I know the article doesn't give the trasnlation, that's why I included it (I'm guessing you are using the mobile app?)

It's just thast seeing what the Maori are going through only now,it brings it all back. that Maori fella at the beginning of the video sounded familiar though. This Latitude48 IPA is good with vodka though. Need it,as I'm a bit sore from bottling day. And no,not using mobile app.

"If your dad drinks soda, then you've really got two mums"

It's been a couple months since I heard that one and I think it has streaked through my head every day since.

It's just thast seeing what the Maori are going through only now,it brings it all back. that Maori fella at the beginning of the video sounded familiar though. This Latitude48 IPA is good with vodka though. Need it,as I'm a bit sore from bottling day. And no,not using mobile app.
OK don't want to derail this thread yet again - off to the PM (private massage that is not NZ Prime Minister :D)

I used to play rugby and still follow it as best I can. But the all blacks performing the Haka is one of the coolest things in sports.

At a local taproom I overhead this snippet of conversation:

"What is it that makes a beer so filling?"

"It's the hops."

Yesterday at a restaurant I saw this description for Lagunitas IPA
- brewed with 43 malts and 65 different hop varities. Ohhh reeeeaaly....

BreezyBrew said:

That would be a hot mess. No thanks.

I know this probably isn't right and have no idea why Lagunitas put it on there, but right from the label-->Made with 43 different hops and 65 various malts, this redolent ale will likely float your boat, whatever planet you’re on.

they taught us to right the way we speak.

Now just learn your grammer and you'll have it made! :)

J/k, but as a former English major myself, I couldn't resist.

If the word "right" is being used as a verb, such as in righting a capsized boat, it makes perfect sense. Now just learn to spell "grammar" and you'll have it made! :)

J/k, but as someone who is horribly OCD about the English language and communication, I too couldn't resist.

Back