Brett C starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyhawkins

Reaction score
Hey guys
I got a vial of Brett C from the LHBS and it was old. I decided to keep it because I was surprised they carried it in the first place and don't want to give them reasons not to continue stocking these types.
So I decided to make a starter to test viability, I added the expired contents to 1500 ml of wort with 150grams of pale DME boiled and cooled of course.
I then put it on a heating pad and let it sit.

Today there is a pellicle formed on top so I'm glad to see activity but is that supposed to happen?
I guess it is but I just wanted to check with you guys.
I am planning an all Brett C beer and wanted to try to keep the starter going by adding wort once a month or something. Anyone else tried to keep a running strain or is it not that simple. I imagined drawing off a half gallon from the gallon jug and topping off with fresh wort. Let me know how this sounds and if I need to do anything else to help my starter out till brew day (2-3 weeks away)

image.jpg

So are you trying to use the whole starter on this one beer? or are you trying to split it up and use it for multiple beers? If you are brewing in a couple weeks you can step up the starter just so you have a higher cell count but other than that it should easily keep for that amount of time. If you want to keep if for a couple months I would feed it a little every month or so just so it can stay healthy.

Chromados

I'm hoping to keep it going for a while. Just wanted to make sure I could keep the bugs happy with wort alone or maybe some boiled saccro and nutrient.
Also do I try to keep the pellicle intact or don't worry about that when siphoning and feeding.

Thank you

i generally don't get pellicles on my brett starters or all brett beers, but if you're letting enough air in it'll happen. just adding wort is plenty fine to keep feeding the brett. i usually just wash and store brett, but i just started keeping a running strain as well (actually a blend of B & L). too early to tell if any problems yet

dcp27 said:
i generally don't get pellicles on my brett starters or all brett beers, but if you're letting enough air in it'll happen.

That makes sense, I've been having trouble with the 3-piece airlock sucking back air and star-san because of the fluctuating temperature. What do you use for a starter vessel? What about closure? (airlock, foam, foil, totally sealed?) I've got a gallon jug 1/3 full cause I'm planning to double the amount of wort in a few days so I wanted the extra room. There's a lot of head space and air in there.
Also do I just dump new on top of the pellicle or siphon into and out of the jug from under it?
Thanks for the help

i usually do a growler with bung & airlock or foil and a loose lid for first 1-3 days, then cap it.

i just dump new on top, the pellicle with re-form

I've had the best luck with using mason jars with the lid loose. I've done some larger brett starters in 1 gallon jugs with foil, too. I've got a few strains going now and keep them all at room temp, though that has dropped below 60. Some form pellicles, some don't. I decant the spent wort and pour onto the yeast or pour yeast into new container and add wort.

i keep a 5 liter flask of Brett C i started from those tiny white labs vials every so often i pour some fresh wort in. whenever i want to inoculate a beer i just pour a bit of the starter in and within a few days i have a pellicle. i plan on keeping the starter going just to see where it goes.

Back