Cleaning/Santizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickN

Reaction score
What do you guys like to use? I have used Oxiclean and then Iodophor. Is there something you guys like better? Pros/Cons?

Cleaning Oxiclean for me. Sanitizer...StarSan all the way. Pro's, it's 1 step so no rinsing required. Cons....none that I have found. It works amazingly

Cool. Iodophor is no rinse as well so I won't rush to get StarSan until my bottle runs out.

I use PBW to clean hoses and such (fittings, flasks, basically anything that I can fit into the bucket, or fill with it). For the keggles I use Bar Keepers Friend. I clean my fermenters with a soak in HOT PBW solution. Since those are stainless, heat has zero impact on them. :rockin:

To sanitize, I use Star San. I typically mix up 2.5 gallons at a time, and have a spray bottle with it too. Since I'm color blind, I can't depend on noticing a color change to indicate the effectiveness (of the sanitizer).

I have tried the oxy products to clean. PBW rinses away faster, and cleaner, in my experience. I typically buy it in the 8# container size.

I use Oxy for all my cleaning and it works great, Star San for sanitizing. I can happily report I have never experienced an infection (although I probably just jinxed myself:)

Oxyclean for cleaning, Star San for brewing and intermediate steps such as racking to secondary. Iodophor for bottling.
The only time i don't like the Star San foam is when I am bottling.

Used PBW (instead of the Easy Clean that came in the brewing kit) for the first time the other day. After seeing what that did to my sink I'm sold that it's a damn good cleaner. There were stains in there that I thought I had tried nearly everything to remove, but are gone now.

As far as sanitizer, started with StarSan, see no reason to change. A little of the concentrate goes a long way.

PBW and Star-San. You won't find anything better. Just start out with the best and you never have to upgrade. Ask me about that. :mug:

My bottle of Star San says "...surface must remain wet for at least one minute". While no doubt (to me anyway) because of the nature of the product there is ample safety margin in that one minute, I still don't shortcut on that.

EROK said:
PBW and Star-San. You won't find anything better. Just start out with the best and you never have to upgrade. Ask me about that. :mug:

What is pbw and where do you get it. I assume you use the pbw to wash your equipment

Oxy free for me as a cleanser, and Star San as a sanitizer. I generally make a keg full of Star San and spray out what I need into a pail for small parts and spoons. I use a sulfiter pump to spray the insides of the bottles and I allow them to drain/air dry on a home made bottle tree. I am very anal about cleaning and sanitation, so I tend to go overboard when sanitizing to insure that there is no possibility of an infection from my process or any of the tools I use. I have been very fortunate so far and never had an infection, but anything is possible so I am constantly on my guard and looking for ways to prevent it from happening anywhere in my system. Hope this helps.
Wheelchair Bob

One minor caveat: Don't soak aluminum equipment in an oxygen-based cleaner (like Oxy Clean). A quick wash and rinse is fine, but if you're soaking with the intention of loosening up stains or something don't use an oxygen-based cleaner.

It's fine for stainless and plastic, just not aluminum (I have 1 aluminum pot I use as my HLT).

Back