Yeast Starter and flasks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph524

Reaction score
Hello
Ok looking around on here and Mrmalty.com the other day I brew a 1.082 OG 5 gallon batch and to use 1 packet of yeast I would need 8.44 liter. How do you start a starter with that kind of volume? I mean most sites on have 2000 ml beakers. Or is my math off? Or should I just by more yeast and forget the whole thing LOL.
I would have to finish my brew up to almost 4 gallons and then dump the starter? There is 100's of posts on here about this subject. So please point me in a direction.
Thanks

Not sure how you are getting those numbers. Are you brewing an ale? Using intermittent shaking?

Well I see now that i did not have stir plate checked on the calculator. So now you guys can give me crap lol. But either way you have to subtract the starter volume from the 5 gallons correct?

I usually decant the spent wort before pitching. Just put your starter in the fridge the night before brew day, and then sometime during the process, take it out, pour off the spent wort, saving the trub at the bottom, and let warm to room temp.

I usually decant the spent wort before pitching. Just put your starter in the fridge the night before brew day, and then sometime during the process, take it out, pour off the spent wort, saving the trub at the bottom, and let warm to room temp.

+1. I don't like pitching the nasty starter beer. Some people do with success, but I prefer to decant.

I decant if the starter is more than 5% of the total volume of the beer. If it's less than that, I usually just pitch it on in.

There are some beers that will require starters larger than the volume of (my) flask. If you want to brew them with an appropriately sized starter, one way to do that is to pre-brew a lower gravity beer, like an American Wheat or Pale Ale, and then pitch the new, higher gravity beer on top of that yeast cake.

Back