Bayou Classic Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm..I think its available. Sorry if this is old. But its not old to me, since I've only seen the kettles with the single bulkhead and valve before by them. Baskets look to be aluminum only to fit this unit, at least so far in my search. I guess a hump the bag out into another pot system could work for the sparge. Anyway, I also saw them available here for $219 with 5 dollar shipping.

http://www.yardandpool.com/ProductD...dftrk=gdfV2919_a_7c117_a_7c2204_a_7c800_d_408

Well, I was hoping to hear something. I've been looking to replace my homemade biab kettle, and this one looks solid. I searched the reviews, the history, and the equipment forums and found nothing on the complete set like this. The basic kettle seems to get good reviews. So I posted this thread here for traffic. Oh well...

I have the 15.5 gal with basket that I use for BIAB. I really like it. I do wish that these, with built in spigot, would have been available when I bought mine.

Update: I ordered the set last night. I got the confirmation. Then today, I got an e-mail from customer service. Its backordered and will not be released till mid May. I am first on their list and they are holding price and free shipping. So thats the answer. The set has not been released yet. Look for a Mid May drop date. I am looking foreward to getting it.

I like their kettles. Surprised it took them that long to jump into the home brew market.

Anyone gotten one of these yet? Very tempting. I've bee eying these and one of there 62 quart pots (I have a 36 quart SS turkey fryer with a spigot from them currently).

Thanks,

Keyth

My new brew kettle is here! My new Brew Kettle is here! Ooooh, look, a packing list..to Mr. Barney Gumble...I'm somebody!!! Woot!!!

Opening now....Nice kettle, well made, calibrated (will check for accuracy). Triple layer bottom. Alumnumnum sammiched between stainless. Kettle is all stainless. Nice welded heavy duty handles. Heavy lid with a nice handle there too. Inside, a cardboard box with...my Thermometer, and internal strainer...fits to the bulkhead of the valve. Where's the valve? Oh look! The false bottom! Handle and legs, very well built and sturdy. Maybe the valve is under it. Nope. Whru Rho. Taking the kettle out. Wow Bayou Classic builds em nice. A heat shield to protect the valve and thermometer is underneath. No valve? Really? Wait, theres a triangle of cardboard in one corner. I thought it was a spacer. Yepp. Valve inside. All stainless ball valve with bulkhead. Shipment complete. Nice. This thing looks like it was built for this stuff. Big time. Looks like the boilermaker without a sight glass for about $100 less. I'm pumped. Gonna be kickin some serious BIAB with this thing. I bought the ten gallon size when all was done. This is all that and cheese compared to what I was using.

But I have a wedding in 12 days to host. Then we are going away for our anniversary. So I cant break this puppy in till mid August. My review at opening: Oh hell yeah. I'll review again at brew day, but I imagine a bunch of you will brew first in this. Its finally in and being distributed. It was almost two months late getting out of production and into the box. But I think this thing will be worth it.

Sorry wish I would have seen this sooner, I use a 10 gallon Bayou classic kettle for my mash tun and a 16 gallon for my brew kettle, best investment i ever made. They are light weight and come to a boil very fast. I went through High gravity for mine they drilled the hole and everything. Again best investment yet!!

If you use an immersion chiller it keeps it from crushing the bazooka screen.

Keyth

Nice, was not sure how it would work.

Okay, so you do your regular boil in this, bazooka on the valve under the false bottom. Chill as usual, then open valve to drain into fermenter.

Hmm, seems like an interesting idea. Beats lifting the kettle to dump it into the fermenter and might even make for a cleaner pour. Have to look into this - thanks!

Mine came in yesterday. Going to give it a whirl on Saturday with either a Vanilla Porter or a California Commons.

We have brewed with ours twice now and couldn't be happier. I got the full works version of the 10 gallon. Our favorite feature is the stamped in gallons/quarts. The valve as is drains to 1 gallon. The mash screen is nice too and used in the boil kettle it keeps leaf hops out and acts as a platform for the chiller. I intend to make it electric so that is great. The thermometer is nice to have as we're waiting for boil.

I am not crazy about the included bulkhead and valve. The valve is too heavy duty and lacks a protective sleeve on the handle.

I have the 16g one with the valve, false bottom, and therm. Love it...And I, too, am planning to go electric with it!!

I purchased the 8-gallon one of these a few months back and am just getting to use it this weekend. I was putting it together and noticed that the spigot doesn't come with any o-rings. Was this the case for everyone else? If so, did you find that there was any leaking around the spigot? Debating if I should be pro-active and get some silicone o-rings for the spigot.

The spigot seemed fairly stiff to me trying it out, but I've been able to loosen up easily enough.

Also: I was somewhat excited to use both the bazooka filter and the false bottom, but the false bottom's legs make it very difficult to use both, somewhat disappointed with that, but there may be a work around.

I also have the 8 gallon kettle and have been brewing with it for about two years. For 5 gallon batches it's a great kettle. I see no reason to change unless I someday decide to move to larger batches.

I also have the 8 gallon kettle and have been brewing with it for about two years. For 5 gallon batches it's a great kettle. I see no reason to change unless I someday decide to move to larger batches.

Did your spigot come with o-rings by any chance? If not, did you purchase some?

Yes mine came with extra o-rings in fact. Check the packaging carefully. Should have a small teflon tape wrap and a couple little wrenches too. Personally I don't care for the bulkhead, locknuts, and o-rings that come with it. All are smaller than typical even though threads are proper.

But I absolutely love the pot and false bottom. The only way to use the screen and false bottom would be to shorten the screen an inch or two. I just ditched it. The valve leaves 1 gallon of dead space (10 gallon pot) without any sort of diptube, and I just leave it. After chilling everything settles to the bottom and we pull fairly clear wort off. Not perfect and it puts a dent in brewhouse efficiency but I'd rather worry about the fact that my beer glass is empty.

I'm in the market for a new set of pots, good to see the postive reviews on these. Might talk my LHBS into bring one in to take a look at it.

Yes mine came with extra o-rings in fact. Check the packaging carefully. Should have a small teflon tape wrap and a couple little wrenches too. Personally I don't care for the bulkhead, locknuts, and o-rings that come with it. All are smaller than typical even though threads are proper.

But I absolutely love the pot and false bottom. The only way to use the screen and false bottom would be to shorten the screen an inch or two. I just ditched it. The valve leaves 1 gallon of dead space (10 gallon pot) without any sort of diptube, and I just leave it. After chilling everything settles to the bottom and we pull fairly clear wort off. Not perfect and it puts a dent in brewhouse efficiency but I'd rather worry about the fact that my beer glass is empty.

Thanks so much for the response. Went through the packaging again and found the o-rings and tape taped onto the inside of a piece of cardboard. Put these on and had no leakage whatsoever! First day of BIAB in this pot went great.

I'll have to take some photos of the setup next time.

I purchased the 8-gallon one of these a few months back and am just getting to use it this weekend. I was putting it together and noticed that the spigot doesn't come with any o-rings. Was this the case for everyone else? If so, did you find that there was any leaking around the spigot? Debating if I should be pro-active and get some silicone o-rings for the spigot.

The spigot seemed fairly stiff to me trying it out, but I've been able to loosen up easily enough.

Also: I was somewhat excited to use both the bazooka filter and the false bottom, but the false bottom's legs make it very difficult to use both, somewhat disappointed with that, but there may be a work around.
You can make both the bazooka and the false bottom work if you tilt the false bottom in with the bazooka in between the legs towards the front and then gently pull up on the bazooka and thread it through the leg in the back and lower the false bottom down.

I just got an 8 gallon kettle but have not had the chance to use it yet. I am thinking of using it as a mash tun in a three pot 5 gallon system. Has anyone used one as a mash tun yet?

I have the 16 gallon set, and I've had problems with my false bottom letting grain through since 2nd or 3rd brew. This weekend's brew (probably #6 or #7) had a 27lb grain bill. One of the legs of the false bottom buckled and let a lot of grain through. First time I had to shovel out all my grain bill mid lauter. You might want to get an additional stand or something to support it for larger grain bills. Otherwise, I've been happy with the set and a 62qt BC stock pot I use for my BK.

You can make both the bazooka and the false bottom work if you tilt the false bottom in with the bazooka in between the legs towards the front and then gently pull up on the bazooka and thread it through the leg in the back and lower the false bottom down.

I just got an 8 gallon kettle but have not had the chance to use it yet. I am thinking of using it as a mash tun in a three pot 5 gallon system. Has anyone used one as a mash tun yet?

I actually found that there is a very specific angle in which you can fit both in, it requires some attention, but I set it up before putting anything into the kettle and it worked well.

I bought this kettle to try out BIAB so I used it as a mash tun, but all the grain was in a bag as well during that process. The system worked wonderfully except that my water estimates were off for BIAB. Ended up with almost an extra gallon and a half of beer! I'm lucky I was going for a high gravity beer in the 1080 range and still managed to get a 1061 even with all that extra water in it.

The kettle itself worked perfectly during the process. I had no caramelization or burning of wort at the bottom of the kettle even with the false bottom in during boil.

My false bottom seems to be very durable, I doubt you could put enough grain into the 8-gallon version to have it buckle like the 16 tc3 has. Though with his warning I'm not sure I'd want to test it out!

Sounds like a rough brew day tc did the beer turnout? I don't think I I'll have to worry about it collapsing though, with the 8 gallon I figured it would only hold 18 maybe 19 lbs of grain max.

I think I am going to brew a few BIAB's in the kettle while I'm slowly gathering parts for three pot stand. I dying to use it. Did you just knot the bag of grain and let it sit on the false bottom? How much grain have you been able to fit into the kettle Ayrahvon?

Ha, yeah wort turned out great, hit my pre & post boil numbers and its still chugging along. I just scooped it all in to a big grain bag I have, cleaned out the false bottom and MT, put the bag of grain on the false bottom and sparged as usual.

Finally got to use my Bayou Classic 8 gallon brewing kettle for my first all grain batch ever. Brewed an IPA and it went really well, so I thought I would share some pics of the brew night.

DSCN0166.jpg

DSCN0177.jpg

DSCN0191.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

I just changed from my 15 gallon Sanke Keg which I used before to a 16 gallon Bayou classic since I was tired of having clogged spigots. Grain was always finding a way to get underneath the false bottom in the keg.
I am ok with the quality/price ratio of the Bayou Classic pots but the false bottom of the 16 gallon pot sits so high (3 inches above the bottom of the pot) that there are 3 gallons of unused space underneath the false bottom. This does not really leave enough volume above the false bottom for 5 gallon batches. I want to keep that kettle for larger 10 gallon batches but I need a smaller pot for my 5 gallon batches since I love to brew high gravity beers like IPAs. How much dead space do the 8 or 10 gallon Bayou Classic pots have underneath the false bottom?

I was incorrect above; the false bottom is at the 1.5 gallon mark. I am going to edit my post above to be correct.

Latest posts

Back